In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Quick .41 Special???

taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is there a manufacturer or custom pistolsmith that makes a S&W J frame size revolver that will chamber the .41 Special "Wildcat" cartridge?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of such a conversion. It would probably be a rather pricey project.

A "J" frame size in that caliber would likely have to be a 4 shot.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Probably not. Needs to be a bigger frame.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    41 special is the same lenth as 44 special, John Taffin had an article in HandGuns mag about a small frame single action he had custon made in that caliber. I'm interested in it myself, although I think you will have to use a K frame, and have a five shot cyclinder built, machine work done on the forcing cone area, and the front of the frame to accomidate a 41 cal barrel. But it is a heck of an idea.
    W.D.
  • Options
    taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charter Arms makes a small, 5 shot, 44 special. According to their web site, it has a 2.5" barrel and weighs 21 oz. I have never seen one. Is it a larger frame than a S&W "J" frame?
    If S&W can make a J frame to handle a .357 with chamber pressures about 35,000 psi, it seem that a .41 special @ about 17,000 psi would not be a problem.
    Comments please.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taperloc
    Charter Arms makes a small, 5 shot, 44 special. According to their web site, it has a 2.5" barrel and weighs 21 oz. I have never seen one. Is it a larger frame than a S&W "J" frame?
    If S&W can make a J frame to handle a .357 with chamber pressures about 35,000 psi, it seem that a .41 special @ about 17,000 psi would not be a problem.
    Comments please.

A J frame cylinder doesn't have enough metal (O.D.) to be bored out to .41"(plus, so you can get the cartriges loaded).
    The centerline of the cyliner "chambers" will remain the same no matter if .22, .32 or .38/.357.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off the top of my head, The frames are close in size. Charter may be the way to go. My 44 weighs 19.5 ounces and handles very stiff loads. TheCharter 357 I believe may be on the same frame as the 44 and if it is a five shot and the cylinder is the same diameter, it could be bored out. Otherwise, the 44 frame may be needed and a new cylinder be made.
    The barrel is a simple straight tube with a sleeve.
    The J-Frame Smith has too small a cutout in the frame to handle a larger diameter cylinder needed for the cut down 41 Mag case.
    The idea is neat since the 41 LC had a good reputation in the old days.
    I have and shoot a pair of Colt Thunderer 41s which are a small, neat package but a bear to handload. The 41Spl at about 1000fps should be a very serious update.
    Since the Charter in 44SPL already exists in an approximate J-Frame size and it can be loaded up or down to equal or exceed the 41Spl I question the point of the exercise.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    i believe some has made a 41 special on either the security six or speed six frame , sounds like it would be one heck of a carry gun

Alan Tanaka-AT custom gun works gardena,ca 310-327-2721. Alan is a member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild
    Kings Gun Works Glendale,Ca. 818-956-6010 This is a family run business in the same place close to sixty years.
    There is always Bowen, Clemets, just they are on the east coast, which is no big deal.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better than the 38/357 but not equalling a hot, handloaded 44 Special.
    The 41 Long Colt's deadly short range reputation was made with a blunted, round nosed 200 grain bullet at less than 800 fps.
    The Charter 44 frame was scaled from the J-Frame Chief except the frame is slightly higher than the Chief above the cylinder and the cylinder is about 1/8" in diameter larger.
    The Ruger may be an easier conversion but will probably be a heavier revolver.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taperloc,

click on "www.cylinder-slide.com/"

click on "Email a technician"

I'll bet they will answer your question with a cost estimate.

Please post pics when you get-er done!

Jim
  • Options
    westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Hamilton Bowen has made one or two like this...