In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield 1911 TRP Field Stripping

rsumirsumi Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

I just got my Springfield 1911 TRP and I want to be able to field strip it without using any tools so I can do so in the event I have no tools available to me. The gun came with an Allen wrench to unscrew the guiding rod and go on from there. That's pretty much the area were I'm having trouble. Anyone know any tricks to remove the guiding rod without an allen wrench?

Thanks,

- rsumi

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The only thing to do is get a short guide rod and plug, and do away with the long guide rod.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    The only thing to do is get a short guide rod and plug, and do away with the long guide rod.

Would that affect the gun in any way?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Throw the full length guide rod in the trash and install a standard guide and plug Then It will be as JOHN BROWNING designed it with out at least one of the Feel-Good modifications. The other thing you can do is holding a empty gun with no magazine installed cycle the slide back until the slide stop pin is in line with the takedown notch in the frame . Holding the slide with your left hand push out the slide stop pin with your right hand index finger tip. Now while putting your left thumb under the slide just in front of the frame dust cover let the recoil spring push the slide off the frame . In this way you can dismount the slide from frame in about 2 seconds. with a standard or full length guide rod [^][:p][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why is the full length guide rod considered a feel-good modification?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello lets say all of us have and should be able to have their own opinion . With that said fire arms are similar to automobiles when it comes to their owners many people want to personalize them . Some of these modifications make them work/run better and other modifications actually are a negative . Just like a small compact pick-up with 36 inch tires there are many items that do not enhance the operation of the 1911 pistol but rather as you have found out just makes for problems in their operations& maintenance. Recoil springs with standard spring guides work as designed "THEY DO NOT KINK" a full length guide unless fitted to each pistol can actually drag on the plug and cause function problems . Yes it can add weight but this is less then one round in the magazine you are better off with a rib with good adjustable sights or put a small amount of lead between the floor plate of the magazine and the magazine spring.Unless you are left handed there is no need for a left hand safety .These are only 2 of many IMHO feel good items. Your mileage may vary sorry about the rant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, out of all that I got that standard spring guides do not kink and full length ones can cause function problems but I still don't get why you called it a feel good modification?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "FEEL GOOD" is an item that is suppose to fix a problem that never existed or one that ends up making more problems then was there was in the first place .in other words it makes the owner FEEL GOOD. but does little.
  • Options
    dirtyharry331dirtyharry331 Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Rsumi & Perry Shooter,
    Just took my TRP out to shoot and became a HARD BALLER. Excellent gun but would like to swap out the full length rod. Perry Shooter, can you give me suggestions on which guide rod replacement combo works for you with what spring to use? I would like to bring this baby up to snuff. Also It ended up shooting low (6-8 inches) below bulls-eye @ 25 yards. I have big mitts (I'm a big guy, 6'3" 265 lbs, broad shoulders) with no felt recoil. I have the Novak fixed sights. I was looking to send the slide to Novak to put adjustable on. What do you think? Any suggestions on the sights to use?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Novak has a adjustable sight that fits his dovetail. You can have a gunsmith order it from brownells and install it. Get a stock short recoil rod and plug. The spring rate will depend on the load you are shooting.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strangely enough, the Novak Adjustable does NOT fit the Novak Low Mount cut. There is an additional flat in front of the dovetail.
    Springfield has an adjustable sight to fit the Novak Low Mount cut and so does Champion.