In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JC Higgins M 60

southpawstagsouthpawstag Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I friend just got his dads shotgun, The Model 60. He says not always, but several times the gun double fired. Firing two shells in a row with one trigger pull. Do these have adjustable triggers? I'm no Smith, but sounds like a trigger/sear problem. Any Ideas. Thank you for any response.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it apart, clean and lube it. Dried grease or crud could interfere with operation of the disconnector or full engagement of the sear. The sear spring could be weak, or have a worn surface on the sear or hammer. Odd chance of a broken firing pin.

Rarely a person can have such a light trigger touch they can make autoloaders double. I knew a lady that could do it often, with guns I couldn't no matter how hard I tried.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard made it for Sears back in the 50's. It was one of the first gas operated shotguns, predating the Remington 1100. The one I worked on years ago, was quite fussy ammo wise.

In addition to Charlie's suggestion about working on the innards. Might try different types of ammo load wise. It has been many years, but as I recall it doesn't have any sort of adjustable gas system. Worked OK with hot loads. Not so much with the promotional light dove loads.

It always a possibility if it's worn internally. It might be short stroking if you're using light dove type loads. Or some long ago shade tree mechanic. Has opened up the gas vent hole in the barrel so that light loads will function.