In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt AR platform opinions & comparisons

WuNgCWuNgC Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
i'm in the market for an AR type. didn't want to spend more than say 1500.00. weapon + CQB type scope

usage for home defense urban defense type weapon.

i saw a Colt LE/Tactical AR15 online for $962-$979.

wanted some feedback of what might be a better buy for an AR platform than say the Colt. and is Colt today a good AR platform for that cost?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a big subject, & you can get only 10 responses on this forum. Let me suggest that you first do a search on all forums (SEARCH link near the top of this page) for the term "AR15"; you will get enough information on AR-type rifles to keep you busy for a couple of hours.

If you still have specific questions, get back to us.

Neal
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion but lots of AR's as good as Colt for your stated needs. About the only advantage with the "prancing pony" is resale value since there are so many folks that have been brain washed as you have about the superiority of the logo.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WuNgC
    i'm in the market for an AR type. didn't want to spend more than say 1500.00. weapon + CQB type scope

usage for home defense urban defense type weapon.

i saw a Colt LE/Tactical AR15 online for $962-$979.

wanted some feedback of what might be a better buy for an AR platform than say the Colt. and is Colt today a good AR platform for that cost?

Colt is good and has good resale value (ie it costs more up front, but it will also be worth more later, should you need to sell it).

Honestly, for your purpose pretty much ANY of them will work. For home/urban defense, you want something with a collapsible stock, and a short barrel.

I think if you stick to anything from: Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic, Armalite, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, DPMS, you're fine. The fact is, most of the makers are sourcing parts from the same places anyway.

Better (read more expensive) gun *should* get you better parts and build quality, but some of this doesnt' necessarily matter, and should you need to, you can always upgrade later. I question the real-world difference between an $800 gun and a $1100 one for someone who isn't putting thousands of rounds through their gun and/or taking it into a truly hostile environment (eg desert war, etc).

Most people will be better of with an average gun, saving the extra money for ammo and practice, rather than an expensive custom/combat gun.

Optical sight probably matters MORE than gun, and I'd spend more effort/energy worrying about hat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks all! your replies gets me started. didn't think about resell value, something to think about though.

i know now to spend too much.

great help thanks
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I'd check out one of these PA-15 premium rifles, there is a breakdown of the upper and lower, the "mil-spec contractor" is FN. They also sale on the GB auctions.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/11235/category/6/
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said before spend some time on GB and go through the archives, and do some research on the auction.
    Spend wisely, you get what you pay for.
    One is never enough, different caliber uppers, trigger work, sights, optics, mags, ammo types, weights of weapons, accessories, and always, Trigger Time.[;)][^][:D][:p]
    As you learn the ins and outs of the AR platform, you will notice that variety is indeed one of the best things about the AR and its different weapon systems. Piston, D.I. fired, pistol, rifle, short barrels, long barrels, then reloading.
    Have a great time and enjoy the beginning of a long relationship with the AR platform.
    P.S. Ask all the questions you want, there is always somebody that will respond with the wealth of knowledge gained by years of Military Service, Manufacturing or general use. Good Hunting.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    I'd check out one of these PA-15 premium rifles, there is a breakdown of the upper and lower, the "mil-spec contractor" is FN. They also sale on the GB auctions.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/11235/category/6/

thanks for the link, i was checking into PSA uppers/lowers. but already built suits me as does the price. PSA gets high marks generally speaking for they offer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Missouri Mule K30
    As said before spend some time on GB and go through the archives, and do some research on the auction.
    Spend wisely, you get what you pay for.
    One is never enough, different caliber uppers, trigger work, sights, optics, mags, ammo types, weights of weapons, accessories, and always, Trigger Time.[;)][^][:D][:p]
    As you learn the ins and outs of the AR platform, you will notice that variety is indeed one of the best things about the AR and its different weapon systems. Piston, D.I. fired, pistol, rifle, short barrels, long barrels, then reloading.
    Have a great time and enjoy the beginning of a long relationship with the AR platform.
    P.S. Ask all the questions you want, there is always somebody that will respond with the wealth of knowledge gained by years of Military Service, Manufacturing or general use. Good Hunting.[^]

appreciate the advice.

ar15.com had this link http://bit.ly/1D4ampf to gandrtactical.com a better price on a colt than on buds. yet psa has a better price than that for a psa, not colt.

sorta in limbo as to should i get parts from say PSA or get a built one, practice with it, and then, as you say, made additions to it. fun to learn and plan this though
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the CQB scope, it could affect your platform decision. Scopes can run from $99.00 to above and beyond your budget. The difference of course is quality and features.

Due to the modular nature of the AR's, many feel it is not necessary to go with a particular name manufacturer especially since many end up replacing the trigger, stock, fore end, grip, sights, etc. anyway so you end up with just the receiver anyway.

Good scopes are the expensive parts. A decent name brand will start around $400+/-.

Without decent glass, the platform really doesn't matter much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Depending on the CQB scope, it could affect your platform decision. Scopes can run from $99.00 to above and beyond your budget. The difference of course is quality and features.

Due to the modular nature of the AR's, many feel it is not necessary to go with a particular name manufacturer especially since many end up replacing the trigger, stock, fore end, grip, sights, etc. anyway so you end up with just the receiver anyway.

Good scopes are the expensive parts. A decent name brand will start around $400+/-.

Without decent glass, the platform really doesn't matter much.

i see. a good time to just build one. i like the front sight tower of AR15's. though with rails one can put any type of iron/CQB scope sights, yes?