In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 12 locked up

freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I put my model 12 back together and now the slide will not release when I dry fire it or when I push the release button. It's locked up. The only thing that I may have done was screw the receiver on counterclockwise instead of clockwise. I have no problem taking it to a gunsmith, but if it is something simple, maybe you can advise.??

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "The only thing that I may have done was screw the receiver on counterclockwise instead of clockwise."..............its vertualy impossible to do this as the adjusting ring lock screw will preven it. remove the trigger guard and make sure the slide lock and spring isn't bent or out of place.
  • Options
    utvolsutvols Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this sounds crazy, but after the dry fire, did you push the forend FORWARD (away from the receiver) before trying to bring it backwards(toward the receiver)?

The M-12 has a design feature to allow the recoil to unlock the slide. With a dry fire, there is no recoil to unlock it.

Or...it could be like I have done more than once, and didn't get the bolt into full battery during reassembly...but then you couldn't cycle it at all.
  • Options
    freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good news. I fixed the problem by depressing the release button while tapping the slide to the rear with a plastic hammer. I cycled it several times and then tried it with a live shell. Don't know why it locked up in the first place, but everything seems to be working now. Thanks.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tapping with the hammer simulated the recoil needed to do the unlock as mentioned by previous poster.