In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NAA Revolvers

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
What's the ideas on one of these in 22 mag. for CC? How bout the 1 that folds into the grip? Also, the recoil--- I've shot the Hi Standard Derringer--- and burn notice from the cylinder gap? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    no recoil no burn i carry a 22mag in my pocket they are LOUD
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be better served by a Keltec P3at. Or any one of the micro, vest pocket, .380's, that are on the market nowadays.

Fordsix got it right about muzzle blast. I have a couple of .22 mag pistols, with much longer barrels. No fun at all shooting them indoors, without hearing protection. Most 22 Mag ammo is loaded with slow burning powder, for shooting in a 18 inch or longer rifle barrel. Not a revolver with a 2 inch barrel.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 magnum was designed as a RIFLE round. It uses a relatively slow burning powder to get high velocities from a long barrel.

When you put it into a really short pistol barrel, what happens is that the bullet leaves the barrel before most of the powder is burned Not only does that waste most of the potential of the round, but it also makes a huge flash as the still-burning powder exits the muzzle.

For this reason I don't recommend .22 magnum out of short barrelled guns (ie for any purpose, period).

If you check the ballistics tables, .22LR from the 2" or less barreled guns does almost as well as .22 magnum. . .and the reason is that the shorter overall cartridge length leads to a slightly longer barrel with .22LR.

As usual, I agree with Rufe. If you want a small light pocket pistol, check out the polymer micro-.380s. Personally, I happen to think that the alloy frame .38 snubnose guns are still pretty much the gold-standard in pocket pistols, but I can see why someone might want something smaller.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going to pack a .22 Mag pistol you might want to buy either Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel or Hornady Critical Defense. Both are available in .22 Mag and meant for use in handguns.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll 2nd the reccomendation of Keltec P3at for very compact personal protection.....or a knife [;)].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want the smallest, a P32 isn't as small as an NAA but it is the smallest and lightest semiauto. still smaller than the NAA with the folding handle.

NAA mini revolver, 22LR, 4.0 oz length 3.6"
    NAA mini revolver, 22WMR, 5.9 oz length 4.8"
    NAA Black Widow (folding handle), 22WMR, 8.8 oz length 5.9"

KelTec P32, 32ACP, 6.6 oz length 5.1"
    capacity 7+1

.32ACP has the same ballistics out of a short barrel and MUCH quieter.

if you think a fully loaded P32 is too much weight, load it with 3 rounds.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a NAA convertible for a while. In the mag load it was loud but who gives a chit when it hits the fan [?]
    Got a KT32 for a while 'till the P3AT came out. Now it's my pocket gun. Recoil and noise is no problem.
    Any pistol in the pocket is better than nothing [}:)][^]
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And a big Plus One for the KelTec P32. Been carrying one for years although I also have a Davis derringer in .22 Mag and an NAA in .22LR.
    I tend to carry the NAA when working outside in the field loaded with two shotshells up and the rest of the cylinder with hollowpoints, it's loud but not as bad as the .22 Mag. Used the .22 Mag to dispatch animals when running a trap line in South Texas. Prefer the NAA for weight and less blast but the .22 Mag did seem dispatch small varmints more humanely and quickly.
    Depends, I guess, on what your anticipated threat is. I rely on the P32 for two legged predators and shotshells in the NAA for those with no shoulders.
    Dan R
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For small size & weight relative to power my .32 Davis derringer
    would be hard to beat & it even could be described as relatively accurate.
    The downside is that it is difficult to cock & unless you use the cross bolt safety you have the hammer resting on a live round. In any case it would be slow to get into action & to fire the second round.
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will probably go with the High Standard 22 mag. that I had in storage-AKA, next of kin, if it wasn't led down the path to the pawn shop. Might make the- Tip over the guy in the wheelchair He-Man robber seek a change of employment.