In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32acp in worn Eddystone 30-06?

ODcollectorODcollector Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a WW1 US Model 1917 Eddystone 30-06 from my Grandfather's WW1 service. Due to childhood malfeasance (with firecrackers and crayons) the first 12-14 inches of the barrel are slightly worn and have some corrosion, but rifling is still visible. The rest of the barrel is good. A gunsmith fired 2 full loads, but suggested that it not be fired more that way. I have bought a .32acp chamber insert, and would like to use that for some light "family heritage" shooting. Is there a danger that the bullet would lodge in the first 12-14 inches of the barrel, and cause a serious pressure increase and "back flow" around the bolt to injure the shooter?

Thank you for any information!

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd field strip it and clean her up. Then oil her and never shoot her.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So have you really scrubbed out the bore with a wire brush and a good cleaner like Shooter's Choice?

Been a long time since I played with a chamber adapter for the 30-06, I just shoot cast bullets. Lots cheaper than 32 auto ammo.

Eddystone's are very strong, gas handling from a pierced primer IIRC is ok. Take the bolt apart, clean it and use a drying lube spray.

Eye and hearing protection is always a good idea when shooting.

I don't think replacement barrels are that hard to find.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway sells 30-06 blanks. A box of 15, will set you back <$15.

Blanks are low pressure, without a projectile. The noise and flash are made by fast burning powder, being constricted by the sealed & crimped brass neck of the cartridge.

460730.jpg
  • Options
    ODcollectorODcollector Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the comments back so quickly! I had considered re-barreling, but that would hurt the "family heirloom" sense of the rifle. I probably would not shoot more than 10-20 32acp rounds with children or grandchildren, but want to do it safely while giving them a sense of the history of the rifle!..They have the photos of my Grandfather with the rifle...and this would give them "connection to their heritage.

Regards to all.....ODcollector
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The obvious solution is to try two or three rounds to see if they exit the barrel. The action is very strong and designed to divert gases from the shooters face. A "slightly eroded" barrel is not an impediment to shooting this rifle IN MY OPINION. Save the .32 Auto cases. You can reload them with a correct size buckshot for the casual shooting you do.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would clean thoroughly and load 'er up with the real thing.

I do not know what scared the gunsmith; there are a lot of "dark barrels with strong rifling" being shot.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OD,
    Welcome to the forum. I know the 17 quite well. Take the rifle to a
    real smith. He will check headspace etc. If all is good, except poor
    bore, I personally would shoot the gun. Also, not to bust your bubble,
    the U.S. Government did not give service rifles away to the troops.
    Likely purchased from the DCM. A poor bore rifle thats is capable of firing its original cartridge is, in my opinion, is the way to go.
    Replacement barrels are available.
    Have fun.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and use a chamber adaptor in a British .303 Enfield dated 1923, using 32 S&W longs and .32 ACP. Even with the .32 S&W's I have never had a squib stuck in the barrel although the concern is quite legitimate. Since the S&W is considerably less power than the .32 ACP I've never worried too much about sticking one in the barrel with the hotter round.

That being said, I definitely shoot at something that I can see when I hit it rather than just popping off into the air where I couldn't tell if the bullet exited.

With normal common sense I doubt you will have any issues with the chamber adaptor.

Dan R
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If the 'smith' just looked at it and fired a few full tilt loads out of it, and then said "Don't do it more" he isn't much of a smith. If he didn't at least tell you why that is.

Gun should be thoroughly cleaned, headspaced, have the crown checked, action inspected, bolt disassembled and inspected, etc.

The general idea of shooting the .32 acp in it is fine, but keep in mind that the rifling isn't designed to stabilize such a short projectile and worn rifling will hurt the chances of any accuracy even more.

Far better to get an oversized heavy bore riding gas checked cast bullet in the .311-.314 range and load with red dot (11-13 gr). With that done, you might even be pleasantly surprised at how accurate the 'shot out' gun can be.

Naturally this would require handloading. If you don't do that, it may not be worth it. But then, I'd say buying a chamber adapter and pricey .32 acp ammo isn't worth it either, and for the cost of that you could easily get a Lee loader, Lee mold, Lee sizer and alox, and box of gas checks... or at least you'd be in the same ball park.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,431 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I would clean thoroughly and load 'er up with the real thing.

I do not know what scared the gunsmith; there are a lot of "dark barrels with strong rifling" being shot.
    This would be my course of action also.