In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

comments--Tikka T-3 vs Browning A-Bolt III

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Personal comments, and thoughts on these 2 guns in a Win 300 Mag. Since they both weigh just over 6 lbs, I'm sure either will make your eyes water. Also---24" vs 26" bbl. THX

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawkshaw,

Browning's A-Bolt II, is an economized version of the A-Bolt II, to compete with the Savage Axis, Mossberg 4x4, Remington 783, and the Ruger American.

Not surprising, the Savage Axis, and Ruger American, have several features, that were pioneered by the Tikka T-3.

That said, I have sold several Tikka T-3's, like close to 30 of them, and have yet to find one that the owner says will not shoot MOA or better. The ergonomics, and balance of the Tikka, likewise is incredible. Even Tikka's sister company, SAKO, designed a rifle to compete with it, the A-7.

My choice, would be Tikka, in that chambering.

Best
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Tikka T-3 in 300 Winchester Magnum at a pawn shop for about the price of a new Ruger American. Just for fun, I loaded a box of ammo with 110 grain HP bullets at about 3500 fps. Normally, this load in a Winchester 300 Magnum performs poorly in the accuracy department. Surprisingly, in the Tikka, 3 shot groups average 1-1.25
    inches at 100 yards with some groups going UNDER an inch. This Tlkka is a shooter, plus the bolt is one of the smoothest I've ever seen, and the stock fits me perfectly. Recoil wasn't bad at all; about like a 30-06 with a 150 grain bullet. I don't have any experience with the Browning you mentioned. I'm sure it's a good gun, but for my money, I'd go with the Tikka.