In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt First Model Dragoon

goldandgungoldandgun Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
We have this Colt First Model Dragoon. We're just wondering what it might be worth or what it might sell for.

Colt%201_zpsz1rnhlm6.jpg
Colt%202_zpsokv19saa.jpg
Colt%203_zpsga0gypev.jpg
Colt%204_zpsa8ksvabd.jpg
Colt%205_zpsmxtknzjm.jpg
Colt%206_zpstxjakkhk.jpg
Colt%207_zpsw2qtpju3.jpg
Colt%208_zpsnh9kkdgm.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Your 1st Model Dragoon was manufactured in 1849, the second and final year of first model production. Although the frame markings and cylinder scene are pretty well worn and some frame screws are buggered, the serial numbers match and the gun has a nice appearance. Personally, I would put it in the $5,000-$6,000 range. It's a very nice-looking piece.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense to Spider. As it looks like the real McCoy. BUT, There is always a but. Colt percussion replicas, have been made since the late 50's at least. Assorted shade tree gunsmiths, have been ageing them to appear as original 19th Century Colts, for years.

Given the above. I would hold off until you could have a hands on, from a knowledgeable/honest dealer or collector.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There must be story behind the notches carved on the gun.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    No offense to Spider. As it looks like the real McCoy. BUT, There is always a but. Colt percussion replicas, have been made since the late 50's at least. Assorted shade tree gunsmiths, have been ageing them to appear as original 19th Century Colts, for years.

Given the above. I would hold off until you could have a hands on, from a knowledgeable/honest dealer or collector.

No offense taken and I agree with you. However, based solely on the pictures, I believe it to be the real McCoy. Still, a hands-on inspection by a Colt expert should be done to confirm its authenticity.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just my opinion but I dont see anything that will raise a red flag however I do think the notches may have been a later addition. I would think they look too uniform to be put on one at a time with weeks or months between adding a new one . Unless he was having a good day against undocumented alieans[}:)]
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I was scrolling down thru the pictures I was thinking 5K.
    It's beat up a bit, but it's still a very desirable Colt.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I would think they look too uniform to be put on one at a time with weeks or months between adding a new one . Unless he was having a good day against undocumented alieans[}:)]
    Or just that someone used the butt to smack something.