In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 Blackout for hunting

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I need some advice from anyone who has hunted deer with the 300 Blackout,because of shoulder problems(recoil). I plan to use it to hunt whitetail deer this Nov.Can anyone with experience with this caliber recommend a load or bullet weight for a humane kill out to 150 yds? Will subsonic rounds do and adequate job or only supersonic. So far I've been impressed with this caliber in an AR platform and recoil is only slightly more than .556/223. thanks

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The subsonic rounds I know about are all based on target bullets, SMK & A-Max, neither is recommended by the manufacturer for hunting purposes. If you can take a spine shot reliably there is no need for the bullet to expand. The ballistics with the 125 grain are not quite as good as the 7.62X39 Russian round so it will require a well placed shot, as well. Personally, I wouldn't trust it, but I am factoring in my knowledge of my abilities when the game is in sight and my heart rate has just gone up a mile. You have to make your decision based on your own confidence in your skill under those conditions. You might consider a light weight rifle in .243/.257 etc with a mercury recoil reduction cylinder inlet into the butt. I have one in my .340 Weatherby and it makes a world of difference.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with the 300 BLK but for the AR platform, if legal in your state, a 223 loaded with the 64 grain Nosler bonded bullet would be effective at 150 yards given decent shot angle and placement and have very minimal recoil.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am familiar with the AR platform, in many chamberings, for deer hunting. The two lightest recoiling chamberings that are suitable, are indeed the 223 Remington, and the 300 Blackout. You cannot go wrong with either one, when loaded with the right bullet.

For the Blackout, out to 200 yards the load I prefer, is the one that was featured in its initial loading. The 110 grain Barnes, TAC-X. It was specifically designed to perform at 300 Blackout velocities, and will easily outperform most popular loadings of the tried, and true 30-30. Barnes loads it in their Vortex line of ammunition, as does Double Tap.

For the 223/5.56 chambered rifles, I do prefer, once again, the BARNES TSX bullet in the 62 grain weight, but you will need at least a 1 in 8 twist. The 60 grain Nosler Partition, and the other 64 grain bonded bullets will work, too, as long as you don't use them in heavy bone, while the TSX will destroy the heavy bone, and take out the vitals behind them. I have used the 223/ 62 grain TSX, successfully out to 300 yards, on mature whitetails. I will qualify this now that this is not a cartridge for deer driving, and running deer. The shots must be placed in the vitals, each and every time.

My Blackout, I put together for my 82 year old mother to use. It is a lightweight upper, that is free floating, and is very accurate.

Once again, both of these bullets I have suggested, are Barnes, all copper bullets...no lead core.

Best

EDIT 1

quote:Since I already have a 300 Blackout I plan to use it this November. It is a 1 in 7" twist so I'm leaning towards a 140 to 150 gr. bullet as Mobuck stated his 1 in 7" does not shoot 110's well. Thanks to all for your opinions I appreciate it. Dave

Dave,
    You owe it to yourself, and the game animal to try those Barnes 110 grain TAC-X bullets. Like I said, they were designed specifically for the 300 Blackout/300 Whisper, with a fast twist. The bullet itself is as long as most flat based 150 grain bullets, and is extremely accurate in my barrel, which is a 1 in 7.5", 5R. Twist rate has NOTHING to do with bullet weight...it is all about the length. Anyone who says the 110's are not as accurate, most likely is using conventional cupped bullets, and has not tried these.

EDIT 2

quote:according to the article the 6.5x40 is superior to the 7.62x51. At that point I call BS on the author- a new member of the Prostitutes of Printed Page.

I have never heard of the 6.5x40, but it sounds very intriguing. I am not going to judge right now, but I can say this...never discount an efficient round, carrying a 6.5mm diameter bullet. One who does, has their head stuck in the sand. The 260 Remington is a good case in point...it hits the shoulder like a 243, delivers more energy than most 308, and 30-06 loads can beyond 400 yards, and shoots flatter than a 270 Winchester.

However, for the purpose of what the Original poster is concerned, it is irrelevant, as he already has the 300 Blackout.

Best
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fully intend to use Speer HotCore 110 grain bullets in my 300AAC during the "alternate weapons" season and for Grandson to use in the youth season. This will work for the Red-X 1-10" barrel. I found that the 1-7 twist DPMS barrel doesn't like the 110 bullets. That barrel shoots 150 Nosler BT well enough for 100 yard shots. Expansion at 100 yards should be comparable to 300 yards out of a .308 Win. Recoil is very light regardless of the bullet weight.
  • Options
    Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I already have a 300 Blackout I plan to use it this November. It is a 1 in 7" twist so I'm leaning towards a 140 to 150 gr. bullet as Mobuck stated his 1 in 7" does not shoot 110's well. Thanks to all for your opinions I appreciate it. Dave
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There is a better 30-AR caliber out. It's on a 6.5X40brass. Gives you 14 more gr. powder [;)]

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/04/long-range-wildcat-ar-15-6-5-40mm/
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    according to the article the 6.5x40 is superior to the 7.62x51. At that point I call BS on the author- a new member of the Prostitutes of Printed Page.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    135 gr Barnes TTSX's in front of H110 and #41 CCI's will send Bambi's Mom or Pop to the turf in short enough order that tracking won't be an issue. Kept inside 150 yds I can assure you your "1:7 will spin it well and be around 1 MOA once you've found your guns prefered COL. Three deer in three years for my friend James using this load and 300 BLK.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I shot a lot of deer and turkeys with a very mild .308 load and Sierra 125 grain spritzers. Lung shot deer fell right down. I gotta believe it's that simple with a 300 Blackout, too.

Any light expanding bullet in the lungs will do the trick. I'd stay away from the 150+ stuff if you want reliable expansion. With heavy bullets subsonic just neck or head shoot them.