In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 .22 conversion over series 70 frame

segerseger Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
What can I expect to pay for the above in 90% condition ?

Do the conversions work and run well ?

Seller claims gun runs like a swiss watch with 3 day inspection.

Pics look good.

Looking for anyone who has the same set up and any advice.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The series 70 Frame is a great platform for conversion units as to how well do they work . THAT will depend on what you expect there very few that have better accuracy than Plinking Kart/ Marval/ Day/ are three and I dont think there are ove 2 or 3 others . The colt with floating chamber is a good training aid because the floating chamber produces recoil above that of a normal 22 LR but not a BULLS-EYE group size it also may be picky on ammo use high quality copper wash bullets or you will need to clean the floating chamber often

EDITgiven the choice on fixed VS adjustable sights the Adjustable sights win for all choices except a 100% Defensive pistol only A CONVERSION UNIT IS NOT 100% DEFENSIVE. FUTURE VALUE WILL BE LESS NOT MORE FOR FIXED SIGHTS
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had 3 of the floating chamber conversions over the years. 2 were very fussy ammo wise. The floating chamber would solder itself to the barrel. With all of the bulk high speed ammo.

The only ammo that I found that would work 100%. Was CCI Stingers.

If he is giving you a 3 day inspection. I would request to fire it with different types of ammo, to see if you will have problems with the floating chamber.

As far as value is concerned. I would check the completed GunBroker auctions. For actual selling prices. If you can't find a Colt with a conversion unit, that sold recently? Price Series 70 frames and conversion units separately. To give you a ball-park value.
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is the GB page... sort through it and see prices asked and those that sold..

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/Completed/BCI.aspx?Keywords=colt+.22+conversion&Timeframe=1

Good Luck !!!
  • Options
    segerseger Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info gentleman. Only 5,000 fixed sight conversions made compared to 50,000 of the adjustable sight slides.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by seger
    Thanks for the info gentleman. Only 5,000 fixed sight conversions made compared to 50,000 of the adjustable sight slides.

This is very interesting! I never knew that Colt made a fixed sight conversion unit. From a collectors standpoint, vis a vis the number made. I would say that the fixed sight conversion, would have more future collectors value.

As a shooter maybe not so much. As I recall, had to adjust the rear sight on mine because of the Stingers. If yours only works with Stingers. Likely you will have to file either the front or rear, to change point of impact.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I JUST installed a Colt kit on a nickel series 70. Runs good on Remington golden bullet.

Bought the kit, in box, 95% condition, for about $500. Already had the frame, I figure the whole rig is about a $1000 gun.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only real, all Colt, that I have had experience with, is the Commercial ACE that I got, to match my Series 70 National Match. It runs well, and is fairly accurate, when it is clean.

I do have a Couple Ciener's, that I purchased right directly from John, himself, when he was at the machine gun shoot, in Kentucky, in April of 2000. I have one on a Para Ordnance 14/45 Limited Stainless, and one on a Roc Island Armory(Philippine made) frame. There were a couple issues breaking in, until about 300-400 rounds, but after that they have been real nice. Once again, cleanliness, is next to godliness, for reliability.

Best
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt fixed sight, auction ended.. pricy maybe $ 1100 or $ 1200 !!!

Colt 1911A1 45.22 Fixed Sight Conversion Unit Auction # 500820796