In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

41 misfire follow up

amwelamwel Member Posts: 33
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Thank you all, yes, I cleaned the tunnel. Yes they are light strikes as I can take many of the misfired rounds and carefully insert them in my 22A so the firing pin hits the same spot and they fire. I put in all new factory springs and a new factory pin and I checked it's length and even after the factory looked at it there is no difference.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you backed off the trigger stop, so that it doesn't contact the trigger at all?

Have you tried different brands of ammo? When I had my 41, function wasn't positive with some types of standard velocity target ammo. My go-to ammo for checking function on .22's. Are CCI Mini-Mag solids. Attempt to run a box of them, through your 41 to see what the results are?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I have used CCI Minimags. I shoot pin and plates and had 4 misfires on one day. I went back to my 22A with the same lot number and have had 3 shoots this year and not one misfire. Some of today's ammunition is not what we bought 50 years ago, I get that. Regardless what brand I try the number of misfires is greater by a large margin in the 41 compared to the 22A. Is it possible the groove in the bolt holding the rim is too deep so in battery the the firing pin does not always reach out far enough to make a deep strike?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was my point in your other thread, somehow the firing pin isn't going far enough forward for some reason. Could be lots of causes - the hole in the bolt the firing pin rides in is short and thus the firing pin's front shoulder is stopping the forward travel, the retaining cut in the back of the firing pin is hitting the bolt retaining pin, the rear face of the firing pin isn't sticking out far enough for the hammer to hit to hit hard enough.

With the slide off, use something flat and press the firing pin forward, look and see how much the firing pin sticks out of the bolt face. Compare that to your 22A.

I haven't had a 41 in my hands in like 30 years. The only 22A I shot was not all that impressive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I loved my 22A but wanted a better trigger so I bought the 41. Immediately started having trouble with misfires not ejecting unless I racked the slide to get the striker off the firing pin. Sent it back and they told me the gun was designed that way and could not be changed/fixed. It seems it is more of a problem in some guns then others. Over the years I found shortening the firing pin helped that problem. As the misfire thing got to be a serious problem I thought that short pin, my doing, was the problem but going back to a full length pin has not helped.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you plan on correcting the problem yourself then you need to send it back to smith with full explanation and let them know the problem was never corrected previously.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    200 rounds and no misfires. Cleaned off the face of the bolt so it is even with the face of the slide.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    unless you plan on correcting the problem yourself then you need to send it back to smith with full explanation and let them know the problem was never corrected previously.

Right! Send it back to it's daddy (S&W) and tell them you are very disappointed in their technical gunsmithing dept. (they do deserve a 2nd chance) Put all their original stuff, springs, etc, back in the gun before you send it back.
    They deserve another chance to make it and yourself right!
    I've had few piss poor Customer Service experiences with S&W and don't buy their products now days due to them leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
    When I find any company that has poor, weak relations I do not buy their products ever again. I've got a list of companies but don't have to refer to it because I never forget such and not a single company or manu has ever been removed from my list.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Modern ammo seems to be less consistent than it was years ago . I have 2 Agawam arms lever action single shots and a similar Ithaca single shot. All sat in the safe for about 10 years without being fired, all worked flawlessly when put away. One day I decided to shoot them and all 3 experienced misfires with several types of ammo. If it were just 1 gun an issue with the gun may have been possible but with all three I have to start looking at the ammo.