In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Huntsman-Woodsman

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
...I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm lazy and not to bright....so, whats the difference?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Just like Cars gun makers have a number of models built on the same frame. Huntsman was just a lower grade model of the Woodsman.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was considered the entry level, economy model, as Karl noted.

Had fixed rear sight, ( only adjustable for windage). And no last shot hold open, for the magazine.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Woodsmen were more prettyful.

Woodsmen_zpsydrxusl0.jpg

1938 and 1940 manufacture represented.

Yet another John Browning design that has stood the test of time.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont believe the Huntsman was ever offered in target model as McManus photo shows. For that matter, pretty sure Huntsman wasn't offered until sometime after that particular vintage.
    Grips on those I've seen were plastic, not wood, and although blued, polish wasn't as nice.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall, the postwar .22s included the Challenger, Woodsman Sport, Woodsman Target, and Woodsman Match Target.
    The Challenger was renamed the Huntsman.
    Later they put a dinky adjustable sight on the Huntsman and called it the Targetsman. That was meant to compete with the Ruger Mk I.
  • Options
    SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keeping it simple, it's comparable to flying economy or first class. Both get you where you're going but the more features you get, the greater the cost.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a separate, but similar vein, if you own a Colt's Pre-Woodsman...do NOT detail/completely disassemble it. Three months of evenings, two different books and I STILL had to pay my gunsmith to finish the assembly for me. I'm not a COMPLETE Yutz when it comes to this sort of thing, but with the benefit of hindsight and many more years of experience, I wouldn't do it again!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, but predictable.
    Apparently all Browning designs are tedious to assemble, except for the military weapons which had a requirement for ready field stripping and manageable disassembly/reassembly.