In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06....variance in sizes

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello all. I was recently trying out some different loads in one of my rifles to find the most accurate load. Obviously some work better than others, but I was hoping that you all could help explain something I thought to be odd. Below are three pictures of three different loads of 30-06, all on the muzzle of the same rifle at the same time (no shots or cleaning between "measurements") I understand their will be some differences between loads, but this seems excessive! Especially given the fact that the two "lose" loads were both made by federal (though one is a 180 and the other I think a 150), but the "tight" bullet is a Mil Surplus ball round.

What say you all?[?]

20150811_095524_zpspolsakbb.jpg

20150811_095541_zpsz69h6gct.jpg

20150811_095557_zpsdg1auho8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ojive on the bullets are different. I like the curve traced by the Secant myself. I also like my bullets to be about .003 off the rifling's. Heavy candle soot black works way better than Sharpie black marker.

Chamber pressure are way more than enough to swage bullets to fit, providing the bullets have a chance to move.

My favorite example was provided by Korean war marine sniper. He carried a broomhandle in 30 Mauser. His preferred ammo was 9mm Sten gun stuff. He was willing to bet his life on the rig.

I have run into 1 gun that shot factory ammo better than mine. I gave it away to a buddy that would buy factory ammo to feed it.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not proving anything by fitting a bullet into the muzzle. As stated, it all depends on the ogive of the bullet as to how far it will enter the bore. What is needed is to mike the bullets at the base or midsection. You may or may not get an accurate reading by miking right at the case mouth. I would bet that all three bullets are .308 diameter. There are so many factors affecting accuracy it is impossible to discuss them in a short note. If your rifle groups within two inches at 100 yards it is a good shooter. anything less takes time to experiment.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be probably better off measuring the diameters, with a dial caliper.

Keep records of your reloads, when shooting at 100 yard targets.

Try to correlate accuracy, versus the diameter of the bullets. Interesting to see if the larger diameter bullets are more accurate on paper at 100 yds? WITH YOUR HANDLOADS.

Hard to say why the commercial bullets, specifically made for reloading? Are smaller in diameter. Seems everything in the gun business nowadays, is driven by bottom feeding lawyers. Maybe it's a perceived legal liability issue?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep on stuffing stuff in your muzzle, more specifically, the crown, and you won't have to worry about any accuracy. Yes, theoretically the copper is softer than the steel, and it is a tried and true measurement for battle rifles, to measure the amount of bore wear. However, I do not make it a practice, nor does anyone else who is into accuracy.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Folks, thanks for the explanations. I do appreciate them. Yes the rifle does group within two inches so I was not to worried to much about it. TSR....don't you worry about my muzzle (its an exit only[;)][:p])
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    This exercise is also showing you the difference in "bullet jump" in your chamber. Good chance that the load with the bullet that goes in the muzzle the farthest will generate the least pressure when fired, due to the long bullet jump.

I would not worry about wearing the muzzle until you have inserted bullets 2 or 3 thousand times.
  • Options
    pedro018pedro018 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy the one in the third picture. It has the least muzzle erosion
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Posted - 08/14/2015 : 10:30:53 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    I buy the one in the third picture. It has the least muzzle erosion"

HUH? Same rifle different ammo.
    As stated several times, this test only shows differences in bullet ogive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck

"Posted - 08/14/2015 : 10:30:53 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    I buy the one in the third picture. It has the least muzzle erosion"

HUH? Same rifle different ammo.
    As stated several times, this test only shows differences in bullet ogive.

I figured he just did not read, or did not understand the original post. Either way, its no big deal. I am glad to have received the information I did from this thread. I think it has served its purpose.

If a moderator or administrator sees this, as the Original Poster, I respectfully request that you lock this thread.[:)]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2" is a good meat gun, I figure anything under 4", shooter and rifle will work to 150 yards.