In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington model 6 in .25 caliber.

kartking22kartking22 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased 2 Remington model 6's at a local auction. One was as described as a .22 caliber but the other one is not. According to my calipers, it is a .25 caliber rimfire. Remington never made a .25 caliber in the model 6.
I had contacted Remington Arms Co. with the serial numbers and the rifle in question came back as a model 4 made in 1901. The model 6 was patented July 22, 1902.
My thoughts are that someone milled a model 4 barrel to fit this model 6. Am I wrong to think this might be the case with this rifle?

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 6s were serialled on the receiver. The 6 was made in .22 and .32 rimfire. Model 4s don't look like 6s, and I don't think the 4 was made in .25 caliber either.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/rolling-block/model-6.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/rolling-block/model-4-rolling-block.aspx

Bubba has been working on stuff forever. Pic's would help solve the mystery. Bolt face for a 22 RF might be different than a 25 RF or a 32 RF, look for bushing or other modification. Could be a bored out barrel, black powder is very corrosive so neglected barrels went bad fast. Could have been bored and rifled. I want to re do a shot 256 Newton barrel to 7mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remington lists the 6 as a centerfire gun. It was never made as a centerfire.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the Good Old Days, Stevens would rebore about anybody's barrel to .25 Stevens Long rimfire. Maybe they did that Remington. Or maybe it IS a No 4 barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now I have more questions than answers again. I am sure that it is a Remington model 6. I am able to interchange the barrels from one to the other. The problem that I have is that the serial number from the .25 caliber model 6 is registered as a model 4 made in 1901. This wasn't a rebore according to the serial number. Remington did make a .25 caliber rimfire in the model 4 along with .22 caliber and .32 caliber as well. The model 6 was never produced in .25 caliber rimfire. The model 6's were all rimfire as well.
    I am thinking that Hawk might be right about Stevens reboring barrels but to completely remill a model 4 barrel to fit the model 6 would be very costly. These boys rifles were sold NEW at the cost of just over $2.00 through the mail order catalogs in that time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remington told you that SN XXX was a Model 4. I'll bet they never looked to see if there was a Mod. 6 with that SN. Even if they did, they apparently don't keep good records-or can't read them properly.
    See above re: centerfire model 6 rifles.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so readers will know the obvious differences between Models 6 and 4, I thought photos were needed:

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-6.html

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-4.html

The Model 4 is considerably more "sophisticated" than the Model 6
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "I am thinking that Hawk might be right about Stevens reboring barrels but to completely remill a model 4 barrel to fit the model 6 would be very costly.".......................no it would not, labor and machine time 'back in the day' was cheep. I once had a 'Stevens Favorite' .22 muzzle loader. is the .25 barrel serial numbered like most #4's?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To Mike. The barrel has a different type serial number on the barrel. The serial number on the barrel starts with an "S" on the rifle in question and the known .22 caliber model 6 ends in "A". To Bill, Both of the serial numbers are located on the bottom side of the barrel of both rifles. According to Remingtons records, the barrel of the rifle in question was made in 1901 and the .22 caliber rifle was made in 1903. Remington Arms may have moved the serial numbers from the barrel to the reciever in later productions since they did make over 200,000 of these rifles during thier production of them.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like it has been speculated, back in the early 1900's, and even late 1800's, machining, and labor was inexpensive, comparatively speaking. Even Winchester, and Colt would make, special order 1 off's. They catered to what the customer wanted.

They were very enginuitive back then, even as much as they were utilitarian. Who knew that unaltered specimens, in good condition would bring exponential sums of money from collectors these days in time?

Basically what you have is a very customized rifle, from the time frame it was in production. It appears that most of the customization was done outside the factory walls. Pictures could definitely help.

Best