In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336 forend banded vs capped

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am Thinking of buying the Marlin lever action 44mag.that showed up at my local gun store.
It has a banded forend rather than a capped one.
The banded ones seem to be unusual.

Item#500553738 is the only one I found on the auction side.
Can anyone tell me the reason why so few are banded?
Does it change the value?
Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500553738

Can't help banded vs cap. I don't think the micro grove barrels shoot cast lead bullets all that well.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure on this, but, The round barrel has a band; The octagon barrel does not (maybe??).
    My Mod. 1894 .44 Mag. with a round barrel has a capped forend and no band. I retract my original comment.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    re: using cast bullets many of the 1894's have "Ballard" style rifling just for the purpose of using cast bullets when you want to. My 1894P has it and does just fine up to 300 grains - that's as high as I have gone with it. I do run a wire through the porting holes every once in a while just to be sure.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    the other posters refer to the m-1894 in .44 mag. the rifle in the referenced auction is an earlier m-336 in .44 mag. I have owned both and they both worked well, the 336 has a 'longer' action and is slightly 'bulkier' than the m-94. I believe that is the difference between the banded forend and the caped forend.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Marlin 336 SC's (Sport Carbines) have capped forearms. They have shorter barrels and half length magazine tubes. Most other 336's have longer barrels and full length tubes with the banded forearm. There may be exceptions, but that is the basic difference.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned various Marlin 336s over the years, including the "regular" carbine (336C) with 20" barrel length, full length magazine tube, and band around forearm, and several "Sporting Carbines" (336SC), which also had same 20" barrel length, but had approx. 2/3 length magazine tube which didn't come as near to the muzzle, and a capped fore-end. Some of the earlier SC's had, as I remember, a deeper dimension on the fore-end also, while the regular carbine fore-end was more slim. The regular 336C was a more "western" design, and the 336T "Texan" even more so, with a straight grip rather than a curved pistol grip. The 336A and 336A-DL had longer 24" barrels, 2/3 magazine tubes, and capped fore-ends, the DL with a bit fancier wood and hand-cut checkering.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A note: Just to clarify, there is a later, current Marlin 336A which is a standard 20" bbl length, stamped checkering with diamond pattern, and is not to be confused with the "old" 336A which Marlin catalogued as a full-length rifle.