In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SMG barrel

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a barrel from a submachinegun 45 cal.that has the front sight, and cooling fins the entire length and is 8" in length. So far I have not been able to identify the maker.Does anyone know who may have made it? (no it was not cut off)

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest that you identify the model of your SMG first; then we can work on figuring out the manufacturer of the barrel.

If you don't know the model, we can probably identify it from photos.

I believe that the shortest Thompson barrel was 10 1/2"; but, that may depend on how you measure. Thompson was the designer; SMG's were made by Auto Ordnance, Colt, BSA, & Savage.

Neal
  • Options
    Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have trouble posting photos on this forum but I have pictures of it on GunBroker no. 5005411973 if you can look it up thanks
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave45-70
    I have trouble posting photos on this forum but I have pictures of it on GunBroker no. 5005411973 if you can look it up thanks

That number doesn't work, here is the auction.http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500541973

and pictures

pix884766829.jpg
    pix725814724.jpg
    pix429070801.jpg
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Here's a silly question...how do you find that number using
    the search feature? Should have added a link for us dumb folks.[:I]

..Edit: Thanks spas. You beat me there. Sorry to use up a post on here for that.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one, with a short tapered barrel with fins. That I could even imagine it to be for. Would be the Argentine Model 1946 Halcon. It supposedly was used by their Air Force, in very small numbers.

One showing up here in the States would be extraordinary.

M46-2.jpg