In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1858 Remington repro

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a early 1858 reproduction needing grips. Has no name just "black powder only" and Italian proof marks.All the present Italian gun grips are too small.Any one got a clue? Thanks, Hunter

Comments

• Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dixie Gun Works
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If you can tell me all of the Italian proofmarks, I may be able to tell you the maker and year of manufacture.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first pistol as a kid was a black powder only Italian 1858 repo. It was well made and shot good. I'm not sure what happened to it but I do remember that with 40gr of DuPont 4Fg on top of a slightly oversized cast round ball (would shave off washers when seating) was an impressive load. It would rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer, fortunately I have a light trigger touch and it never went full auto. I greased the end of the chamber with a heavy water pump lube and used a sticky metal drawing wax on the cylinder rod. I never experienced a chain fire either.

Later I just loaded every other chamber and didn't worry about it. Many rabbits and a few snakes fell to that pistol.

Added. The flash holes were fine, the problem was 40gr of 4Fg was on the warm side. A better choice would have been say 30gr and several greased felt wads to keep the ball out to the ends of the chambers.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie, it sounds like flash holes are too big.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I wish some posters would realize that they aren't going to get their questions answered if they don't come back and read the replies. I see this a lot.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider, you know by now it's the nature of the forum beast. On the flip side, I've receive many a PM thanking me for the help. One of those, makes it worth the effort on the rest.[:)]