In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Non-FFL seller

redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Here is something I don't understand. I purchased a gun from a non FFL holder. He sent the gun to my FFL guy. He didn't include any paper work and my FFL guy wants to hold the gun. He want a Drivers License. What is the normal paper work a seller should send with the gun? I am planning on selling some and need to know. I don't have a FFL and don't plan to get one. Jim Lemon

Comments

• Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing is required, many FFLs want a copy of the seller's I.D.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a FFL dealer and before we log a firearm into our book we need to know where it came from which means either a copy of a FFL or a clear copy of a government issued ID with a photo and the current address. It's not rocket science and still me have firearms arrive with no DL or FFL and no contact info as to who is supposed to receive the firearm on our end. And sometimes we get a call from the person who is supposed to receive the firearm who we have no contact info for wanting to know where his gun is and why haven't we called him. And somehow it's our fault. hey, it still beats having a real job.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both Mr Wright & your local FFL are reasonable people; many FFL's refuse to accept a firearm from anyone except another FFL.

All FFL's must enter acquisitions/dispositions in their Bound Book, which is subject to review by ATF. Inaccurate information in the Bound Book could lead to loss of their license, or worse.

Your responsibility is to find out from your local FFL what his rules are before you buy a gun that will be sent to him.

An experienced seller would note in his ad "I will enclose a photocopy of my drivers license for your FFL." But, he didn't. So, now is a good time to contact him & request it. Make sure that he understands that refusal to comply may compel your FFL to elevate the conflict to ATF, & no one wants that to happen.

Neal
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is totally up to the receiving dealer, on what they require. Most like some sort of identification. Driver's license is the most common.

If some of the stuff you plan on selling happens to be handguns, be ware there some states that require all incoming handguns to come from an FFL. So, you might have to have a FFL send them for you.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your between a rock and a hard place. The seller has your money, and the dealer has your gun.

Try to make nice with the seller. So he will send the dealer his DL. It's your only option, as I see it. As realistically you don't have any leverage, on either of them.

Threatening isn't the way to go. As it only tends, to piss folks off.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the senders name and address should have been clearly marked on the package for return if needed and the package should have been insured properly so both parties are protected, also the buyer should have notified the recieving ffl to expect the package and ask dealer if there is anything needed from seller long before it shipped. the ffl has the return address but wants ID so the seller needs to supply the ID with the package or when requested, if seller doesn't provide then the item should be returned for full refund.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    The buyer can also get the sellers name, address, etc, off of GunBroker, and give that to the ffl.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the driver's license, etc. filed somewhere; there isn't room in the "bound book" for it, is there? Is proof of origin of a gun required by the BATF? Is something else besides name and address really required? When I buy a gun on the auction side, I always ask the seller to include ID or copy of FFL if he has it: What does the receiving dealer do with that paper work when he gets it. I would think filing all that crap would be a PITA. When I pick up a copy of the FFL from the dealer to include with the check, I always inform the dealer what the gun is (Remington 721, Ruger Blackhawk, etc.) and where it's coming from and have not (so far!) had a problem
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    The buyer can also get the sellers name, address, etc, off of GunBroker, and give that to the ffl.

Winner
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

An experienced seller would note in his ad "I will enclose a photocopy of my drivers license for your FFL." But, he didn't. So, now is a good time to contact him & request it. Make sure that he understands that refusal to comply may compel your FFL to elevate the conflict to ATF, & no one wants that to happen.

Neal

When you call ATF you will be told there no requirement for a copy of a DL, they may offer to call the seller and ask they send one.
    The seller has no need to send a copy of his DL, only his name and address!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bearman49709
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Neal

When you call ATF you will be told there no requirement for a copy of a DL, they may offer to call the seller and ask they send one.
    The seller has no need to send a copy of his DL, only his name and address!

The receiving dealer is required by the BATFE to provide the address of the seller, or incoming firearm, in his/her log book. As such, a good FFL, to cover his/her *, will also require PROOF of that. It is not uncommon for the Seller to be asked to send a copy of his her DL, or some sort of state issued ID. In fact it is more common than not, as when the FFL is audited by the BATFE, they often ask where is the proof of residence. Been there, and done that.
  • Options
    redchestnutredchestnut Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You all I am convinced that Gun Broker should require sellers to furnish paperwork for FFL's with their sales. Or GunBroker should keep records of sellers to furnish to ATF. What do you all think?
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. Between buyer and seller. NOT GunBroker.