In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I have a Stevens 87H with a failure to feed

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
It appears the lifter should drop down more than it does. The lifter sticks up enough so the incoming cartridge is blocked. Is it more likely the lifter is worn down or is it the part of the bolt which pushes the lifter forward the more likely suspect?

Or is there another problem/adjustment I am overlooking?

Thanks for all ideas.

Should have mentioned I have all ready cleaned the rifle, cleaned the bolt, replaced the firing pin and extractor, removed the lifter, cleaned oiled and replaced it. There isn't any crud remaining. The lifter pin and spring seems to be in good shape.

I think I am to the point of deciding which part is likely worn. I am leaning towards replacing the lifter but since in working condition this is maybe a $125 gun I am trying to avoid buying parts I don't need.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    a good cleaning dirt build up
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/87RifleSeries-39863/87H-34292.htm?results=All

Could be worn parts/pins, weak/broken springs causing interference or just crud build up.

added Yes the sad fact is you could invest way more time and money than the firearm is worth. I have fix a lot of stuff for folks because it was great grandpa's and it was the only thing of theirs that was left.

So you should look the mechanism over to see why the lifter isn't going down enough. Perhaps it is springing up too high as opposed to being pushed down low enough. Maybe there is a worn surface (look for bright spots). You can use JB Weld to build up a worn bump/nub in order to test the function, it will not last long in service use. A more durable repair would be building up with weld or drilling in a pin
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's probably just some wear but without good pictures it's tough to say, if you look at the link from gunparts you can try to compare what the parts look like to see if anything obvious, at least it sounds like you are working in the correct group.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've worked on 2 of the 87 rifles, Putting them back together too tight caused failure to feed.
    The lifter has to be floppy and you need some windage in the guide.
    Sorry, but I can,t see it from here.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was hoping for some quick and inexpensive repairs to get this project complete but it doesn't appear to be headed that direction. A new lifter is only about $5 so I may just throw one in.

I found another problem which may push this off into the winter project category. The cartridge guide spring bumper spring is missing and I'm not sure how to replace it.

Numrich calls it a bumper spring and it is part #5.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/87RifleSeries-39863/87H-34292.htm

" Perhaps it is springing up too high as opposed to being pushed down low enough."
    I hadn't thought of that approach. I'll take a look with a different perspective. Thanks Charlie!
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    somewhere I saw pictures on the install for the guide spring, I will try to locate them but I do believe it was saved on my old dead PC
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the bumper and spring are what fits into the top of the receiver and top of the barrel, are missing, you will definitely have a misfeed. I am told you have to pull the barrel to replace either.
    Thank you pip5 for that info. I need to replace both pieces SOMEDAY.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    If the bumper and spring are what fits into the top of the receiver and top of the barrel, are missing, you will definitely have a misfeed. I am told you have to pull the barrel to replace either.

The bumper is there but the spring is missing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks pip5255

Looks like I will need to remove the barrel to replace that spring. I will order a new spring and new lifter if I succeed in getting the barrel off. This is more work than a rifle in this price bracket is worth but It will be fun to see if I can rescue it.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have restored and repaired and refinished lots and lots of 22's over the years and most of the time you can't get money back out of them when finished but it is rewarding, I still have a dozen or so that may go to my boys or their youngins after I am gone or maybe even before then unless something happens to cause me to need cash. good luck with the project and if you need any assistance just ask here and lots should jump in to help out.