In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine no import markings?

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Friday I won a Saginaw M1 Carbine on the auction side.

My question is, the seller says it has no import marks, so would that likely mean it came thru CMP at one point before entering private hands?

Also the stock appears to be a replacement, very nice condition with a WB stamp on the left side, no other visible markings. Is WB Winchester? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    in my opinion no import marks only mean one thing "it was not imported after the rules changed to mandate these marks. There are tens of thousands of us Military small arms that found their way into civilian
    hands with no paperwork involved.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not necessarily.

Thousands of carbines were stolen from the government prior to their sale by DCM & CMP, but there is no way we (or the government) can identify them.

Have you removed the action from the wood? Some imports have the markings on the receiver below the wood line.

Most carbines have the import markings on the barrel. However, it is legal to remove them, & some folks have done that. Plus, many barrels have been replaced.

Winchester stocks usually are unmarked, or are stamped W. They will also have a proof P on the handgrip, & a WRA/GHD cartouche. It's likely you have a USGI replacement stock; photos would help identify it. If there is no proof P on the handgrip, it was not installed at a US arsenal.

Neal

EDIT: I don't think that Mr Shilowar had any illusions that he was buying an original carbine. Repairs & replacement of parts were performed at different levels of ordnance; I would just call this carbine "rebuilt", & leave it at that. But, the original metal finish on the barrel & receiver, plus the original flip sight, lead me to believe that it never went through a complete arsenal rebuild. The "I" sling cut is only found on early original walnut stocks; this one has been sanded, as often happened. It's a nice looking gun, & I think he will be happy with it.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. I haven't received the carbine yet, I am just going off what the seller told me. The stock is probably an aftermarket replacement as it is in very good condition(which is fine with me) and doesn't have an acceptance cartouche or the P. The barrel is marked Saginaw S.G. Div General Motors. Based on another forum the serial number puts the receiver in the 1st block production 5/43-5/44 at the Grand Rapids factory. It has the original style flip rear sight. I don't know any of the markings for those
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my carbine in 1966 from the A&N Store in Richmond VA. Highly doubt it was stolen, and of course, it has no import marks. Your rifle may simply have been around in civilian hands a long time.
  • Options
    ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since import marks can be placed on the barrel or receiver, replacing the barrel gives you "no import marks"...
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your carbine may have an IBM stock as they were marked with a LW-B

stamp. Sometimes the cartouches don't imprint well on rounded stocks

and only a partial mark is visible. Also check in the slingwell

and under the hanguard, should find the manufacture's letters there.

During the 60's 300,000 carbines were sold by the DCM to the NRA as

shooters, and some ended up in commercial outlets at the time. I was

told they sold for $75.00 by the old timers at the gun club.

Good luck with your Carbine, you can always keep an eye out for

correct replacement parts, including stocks.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe this is it: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=499952249

If you want to know for certain if it came from CMP you can check with them. They can verify by serial number what's come through their operation, although I do not know how far back their current records go.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that's the one in question the butt plate looks small to the stock to me (last photo).

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Carbine shown in the pictures has a bayonet lug installed and a "M" on the mag release..

M1 Carbines that have been through a US based armory after their return from WWII for upgrades will have a bayonet lug and the "M" stamped on the magazine release lever.

The bayonet lug was an upgrade by the U.S. armories on rifles that were returned during the latter days of WWII and prior to reissue for the Korean War.

The "M" on the mag release was an upgrade to prevent the 30 round mags from falling out due to the added weight.

If either of these upgrades are present the Carbine most likely was upgraded in the U.S. and later sold into civilian use.

I have two I picked up in 1978. This will hurt ya. Bought the two and 1000 rounds of Korean ball ammo for $250.00 total.

Any "imported" M1 Carbine must have the importer's name stamped in a visible location somewhere on the barrel or receiver.

If you find an M1 Carbine without the modifications (no bayonet lug)and no import marks the value would sky rocket.

The link below will provide an amazing amount of info and history about the M1 Carbine.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/manufacturers.html

Spend a rainy day taking it apart and figuring out where all the parts came from and marvel at the fact that so many different manufacturers were able to produce a rifle whose parts would interchange no matter the manufacturer.
  • Options
    Evad55Evad55 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you haven't already go to http://www.uscarbines.com this is the main page, there is a wealth of information on the .30 cal. carbine.