In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca U.S. air force survival rifle .410/.22

Evad55Evad55 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
Ithaca U.S. air force survival rifle .410/.22 hornet. 14" barrel. I understand this is considered a (AOW, any other weapon) I looked in the ATF site but found nothing specific on registration or form No.
Thanks for any help you can give, Dave

1. Is it legal to own?
2. What form would be used to register it?
3. Can it be sold if not registered?
4. Is the ATF who I need to register it with?
5. short how to on registering the weapon.
6. besides a FFL what else would be required to ship the weapon?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    1. no
    2. none
    3. no
    4. none
    5. can't be done
    6. see above

in short; this weapon if not already registered is an illegal weapon. it can not be made leagal (unless there is another amnesty registration period, VERY unlikely).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I inherited this so I am not sure it is or isn't registered. where would I look to find out, what and where to search records?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Evad55
    I inherited this so I am not sure it is or isn't registered. where would I look to find out, what and where to search records?

If you still have access to all the documentation and paperwork, from the estate/person you inherited from. Would be a good place to start.

The BATF's amnesty for private ownership of NFA guns, was during the month of December 1968. The paperwork your looking for, would be no later than that.

I believe you need the original amnesty documents? As the 60's, was years before computerized databases, came into existence. Trying to get original handwritten documents, dating to the 60's from the feds. Would be a exercise in futility.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why wouldn't this be a short bbl. rifle / shotgun...?????
    JIM............
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JIM STARK
    JIM............

SBR/S are newly manufactured. Only after the required license/tax stamp(s), and legal approval by the BATF.
    A modern identical replica of the OP's Ithaca, could be legally made. After the required licensing and tax stamps were acquired, with no problem. Go figure?[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jim thanks for you response, I noticed in your profile you are a gunsmith, I am a tool maker myself, that being said what would be your thoughts on extending these barrels to legal length and the legality of such action? I would assume this would need to be a permanent modification, pressed in or other method? Regarding this being considered a shotgun I think this is considered the same as the game getter both considered NFA weapons but I will have to recheck on that.

JIM............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Evad55
    Jim thanks for you response, I noticed in your profile you are a gunsmith, I am a tool maker myself, that being said what would be your thoughts on extending these barrels to legal length and the legality of such action? I would assume this would need to be a permanent modification, pressed in or other method? Regarding this being considered a shotgun I think this is considered the same as the game getter both considered NFA weapons but I will have to recheck on that.

JIM............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks rufe-snow for your response, Im confused about the newly manufactured SBR/S comparison. This weapon was manufactured in the early 1950s and I do not know what is ment by OP's Ithaca ? quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    JIM............

SBR/S are newly manufactured. Only after the required license/tax stamp(s), and legal approval by the BATF.
    A modern identical replica of the OP's Ithaca, could be legally made. After the required licensing and tax stamps were acquired, with no problem. Go figure?[xx(]