In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about C&R guns

Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a C&R and live in Maryland where my C&R is registered and where I keep my bound book. I also have a home in Virginia and have some guns there as well. Am I required to keep the guns purchased with my C&R in the home where the C&R is registered or just the bound book?

Edit 1
Just to clarify, I have not moved any of the guns purchased with my C&R to Virginia yet.

Neal,
Yes, I understand about Marylands regulated firearms laws. This was one of the primary reasons for buying the house in Va. Eventually it will become my permanent home.

Update

I found the following open letter from ATF regarding the C&R location. It states that the A/D book must be kept with the collection. It doesn't state that the A/D book must be kept at the license address but it does make sense.

https://www.atf.gov/file/85006/download

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I was told by an ATF investigator that your C&R guns must be in the same location as your license as well as your bound book. You are subject to inspection by ATF just like a Type 01 dealer but they will notify you before they arrive. They will check your guns against your log book.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If I were you I would chose to only keep the guns that I owned BEFORE getting the C&R lic. in the Va house and the guns that were bought with the C&R lic in affect in the MARYLAND house. It is my understanding that if you purchase a Firearm even today and fill out a
    edit 4473 form it does not have to go in the bound book
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    If I were you I would chose to only keep the guns that I owned BEFORE getting the C&R lic. in the Va house and the guns that were bought with the C&R lic in affect in the MARYLAND house. It is my understanding that if you purchase a Firearm even today and fill out a 4377 form it does not have to go in the bound book

I think you mean Form 4473 but I agree with your statement.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see how you could have problems with where you keep the guns acquired with your C&R; federal C&R law & regulations are only concerned with acquiring & disposing of guns by a C&R licensee, not what he does while they are in his possession. Many of us transport guns to other states for competition & hunting.

I think that you DO need to be careful about which guns you bring from VA to MD. You cannot bring any "Regulated Firearm" into MD without an HQL & approval of MSP, even if you legally owned it in another state.

Neal
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would tend to agree with Neal. A C&R license is for your personal collection, not to regularly buy and sell firearms. So if they are your personal guns and they are in the "A" side of your A&D book, and also in your possession I'd think that you're fine.