In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5x55 caliber

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited August 2015 in Ask the Experts
would like to know if this 6.5x55 cal. is legal in Colorado for elk/deer

does this cal. pass the .25 caliber ranking i think that is the least size a person can use.

Comments

• Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The diameter of 6.5 is .264 which of course is larger than .250. However I don't know if Co. has a power factor.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    you should be 'good to go'.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    According to the Colorado Big Game hunting brochure, for elk the bullet must be at least .24"/6mm diameter, be an expanding bullet of at least 85 grains and be rated by the mfg as having 1000 ft lbs of KE at 100 yds. The rifle needs to have a barrel at minimum 16" and the overall length 26". Unless your Swede has been cutdown, it should meet all of those specs.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Europeans like that caliber for animals as large as moose, so within the range you're comfortable with shooting the round will do it's job...provided you do yours and put it where it counts! [:)]
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5x55 is a favorite moose and polar bear round, you do your job and it will work fine.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just so you know, it is perfectly legal, in Colorado to use the 6.5x55.

A few more tidbits about that chambering....

It is the ballistic twin of the 260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

It, with most commercially available loadings, surpasses the energy of a 30-06, or 308, beyond 400 yards.

It also, shoots as flat, or flatter than a 270 Winchester, with like bullet weights(Yes, I did it...I defamed the fabled 270 Winchester).

It hits the shoulder like a 243, or 257 Roberts. By having less recoil, they are more pleasurable to shoot, thus resulting in less flinching, and greater accuracy from the shooter.

Lastly, do not EVER discount the terminal performance of a 6.5mm bullet. They are simply amazing, even on large game.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 mm has great sectional density with the heavier bullets. The 256 Newton (6.5-06) built by A&M on an FN Mauser for my dad had a 1-7 twist for heavy than normal bullets in the 180 grain region vs. the normal 140,160 range.

With a little luck that rifle might be back next year so I could shoot it.

I have a 6.5 Jap from my uncle, but it's way crude for my taste in bolt guns.

I put a Springfield A3 barrel on my 256 Newton rifle that was made in the 20's, to replace the shot factory barrel. The Newton rifle has very nice double set triggers.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Just so you know, it is perfectly legal, in Colorado to use the 6.5x55.

A few more tidbits about that chambering....

It is the ballistic twin of the 260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

It, with most commercially available loadings, surpasses the energy of a 30-06, or 308, beyond 400 yards.

It also, shoots as flat, or flatter than a 270 Winchester, with like bullet weights(Yes, I did it...I defamed the fabled 270 Winchester).

It hits the shoulder like a 243, or 257 Roberts. By having less recoil, they are more pleasurable to shoot, thus resulting in less flinching, and greater accuracy from the shooter.

Lastly, do not EVER discount the terminal performance of a 6.5mm bullet. They are simply amazing, even on large game.

Best

wow thanks for all the info
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What tsr1965 said is completely true.

Not only that it can be improved with high BC hunting bullets, that make it even more effective. .257, .270 and 30-06 don't have them. Either they don't have the BC, or to get the BC in .30 cal, you have to go a lot heavier.

7mm-08/7x57 are good ones also. But you step up a little bit in recoil. Not as much as a .270 though.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOAH,

6.5 x 55 is a cartridge not a caliber. Caliber refers to the diameter which is 6.5mm or .264" or 26 caliber.

The 6.5 x 55 cartridge is a standard by which many other cartridges are measured. It is a high performance cartridge because of the bullets designed to work with the case and its capacity. This doesn't mean that it's a speed demon by any means since many loads are sedate but extremely efficient in performance.

If you reload, this is a '4350' cartridge or a cartridge which will utilize the 4350 and related powders. There is a wonderful selection and variety of bullets suited to hunting and target shooting. For lighter game such as deer you can't go wrong with the Partitions or many of the other soft point bullets. But if you want to jump up a little in performance check out the Barnes 'Tipped" TSX bullets.

Longer ranges and heavier game require better bullets such as the Berger Hunting VLD or the Hornady AMAX bullets. Both are superb. The heaviest I shoot is the Matrix 160 grain which might seem a little underachieving but it really delivers on the target at longer ranges. Remember that no bullet is perfect, it's up to us to put it in the right place to do its job.

Best.