In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Redfield mount on JC Higgins Model 50

tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
I have a JC Higgins Model 50 in .270 that has an old Redfield one piece steel scope base on it. My questions is: will Weaver grand slam dovetail steel rings work with this Redfield scope base?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the Redfield, Leupold, and Burris dovetail twist in's will work for you.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your old redfield one piece base the windage rear (has cross screws) and dovetail front type?

You may know this:
    But just a heads up if you have a nice expensive scope.
    with any of the dovetail type bases, DO NOT twist in the dovetail rings by using a scope tube when installing or removing the scope. The Leupold, Burris, Redfield, and Weaver dovetails will usually fit the dovetail bases but use caution when first twisting into place and use little bit of lube. Especially the first few times it's rotated CW and CCW because the dovetail is shearing metal by it's design for a really tight snug fit and can easily bend a scope tube. If a scope is already mounted into the dovetail and you don't know for sure how snug it is, remove the top ring saddle and remove the scope before twisting out the dovetail.

Use a wooden dowel rod or broom handle and carefully align in the same plane the two bases before installing the top saddle rings. Burris has some real good posi align plastic inserts for their rings that is real good for misalignment corrections and prevents scope ring marks. Very few people use them due to not readily available as compared to the others and cost more. Your scope tube will still look new when removed from these type Burris ring inserts if installed correctly.
    and read the dovetail installing and removing instructions available online.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a JC Higgins Model 50 30'06 which has the FN Supreme commercial Mauser 98 action, which I got unfired at a gun show, and it came with Weaver bases. I believe, as was stated in an earlier reply, any of the torque in style rings will work with your Redfield one piece base. Just be to sure to clean the lugs and their recesses in the one piece base thoroughly, lube them before torqueing them, and use a one inch cylinder definitely not your scope to torque the rings into place.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with some of the nice custom Mauser 98's and VZ24's in 243 caliber. Very accurate guns using reloads and glass bedded actions.

Here is a little bit of info about the Model 50 at this link.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/j_c_higgins_50.htm
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    I hunt with some of the nice custom Mauser 98's and VZ24's in 243 caliber. Very accurate guns using reloads and glass bedded actions.

Here is a little bit of info about the Model 50 at this link.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/j_c_higgins_50.htm

The referenced information is full of bad information. These guns were made by High Standard almost exclusively for Sears. A few were sold to overseas service men under the High Standard name. The Model 50 was made by High Standard using a receiver made by FN in Belgium which was imported through Firearms International. High Standard made the stock barrel and other minor parts. Sears also sold a barreled action from the Model the model 51-L was a similar rifle utilizing a HVA action imported through Trade Winds. The Model 52 was a Sako action with High Standard stock barrel and other minor parts.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    great to see you posting JOHN you always HAD GREAT INFORMATION PLEASE DONT BE A STRANGER TO Gun Broker
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    Thank you Perry,

My knowledge is limited to High Standard products. There has not been much traffic about High Standard on this forum for the past several years. I will comment on the topics I know as they appear.