In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Replacement barrel question

ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
If, replacing a barrel on a 223 wssm, should I be looking for a .22 barrel or does it have to be a 223 wssm specific barrel? Joe
"...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in the unenviable position of having to replace the barrel on my M1A (Don't ask. Ugh.) Anyway, according to the GS who's doing the work, Criterion offers medium weight units in 22" and 18". I'm looking for opinions from those with much more knowledge than me on which may be the best choice. I realize that 20" is becoming the new "optimum" but that apparently isn't an option with Criterion and other available custom brands would stretch my budget too much. The rifle currently mounts a Burris XTR 6X24 and was producing very respectable groups at 500-600 yds. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,386 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I'd buy the 22", no question. I see Criterion makes a 20.5" "NY Compliant", whatever that means.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    What is the specific purpose that the rifle is expected to serve? IE...what do you intend to do with it? Target shooting? Match shooting? Service Rifle competition? Three Gun Matches? Hunting? SHTF?

Don't say all of the above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark, definitely not all of the above. Realistically these days target shooting with max range 500-600 yds. My days of longer distances remain with my former occupation. If things deteriorate to SHTF I suppose this piece could come into play but let's face it that's not very realistic despite what drama laden TV shows would have some believe. Besides, past personal experiences have taught me most encounters of that type are up close/personal, dirty, fast and very ugly. Not really work an M1A is designed for nor what some keyboard commandos envision. May they never have an experience of that type.
    Let's stick with target shooting from a rest (for zeroing) and often in sand/mud/clay for realism, challenge and tests of ones ability with the rifle.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know there is a fad for short barrels, but the M14 was standardized at 22 inches and the M1A should stay the same.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Although the 22 inch barrel will deliver higher velocity, the real advantage is the longer sight radius. Since you plan to use optics that really doesn't come into play. Based on your very sensible answers (always a refreshing change of pace from General Discussion), I think that you could get by nicely with the 18 inch barrel. I prefer the normal 22 inch barrel, but an 18 inch would make the rifle more compact.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark/Hawk, thank you for the informed, sage advice. I think I'll stick with the 22" as designed. I'm not into fancy or fads, just function.
    Mark, another day I have some questions about a Garand I own that I'd be interested in your opinion on.
    Gentlemen, you've both been a big help. Thanks again.
    HPD, you've got my curiosity up about what might constitute a NY compliant barrel. Now I'm gonna have to research what the heck that might be as well.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York compliant means no bayonet lug and Threaded Muzzle or muzzle Break / flash Suppressor I believe

I almost always choose the longer bbl - though the difference in sight radius and muzzle velocity from an extra 2"'s in probably negligible

Still like the option of NM iron sights so I would choose the 22"

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thx Mike.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,386 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Based on your very sensible answers (always a refreshing change of pace from General Discussion)
    [;)][:0]