In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Seecamp 1911 DA Conversion? Update

TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Ask the Experts
perry shooter, I know you must have one of these.
Picked one up as a semi basket case. Got all the parts except the wire spring that keeps upward tension on the trigger to hammer transfer bar. Other than some non detailed internet pics, I have no idea what it looks like to make one. I can make an educated guess I'm not going to find one for sale anywhere either.
Can someone post a detailed pic of this spring, and some measurements? Wire OD, loop OD, length?
From research, I'm pretty sure neither Seecamp or ODI Viking did the work. Top end is from an AMT Hardballer. The frame "looks like" an AMT, but the serial number doesn't jive. Both are stainless. Right side, in front of the trigger guard it has JF 0155xx, it might be JFO 155xx, no other markings anywhere on the frame or the conversion parts. I know the ATF required the same serial number to be restamped after the machining for the conversion removed the original.
Any idea who made the frame?
I'll post some pics soon as I figure out this new camera.

Edit: Want to find lost parts in the carpet? Just walk around bare foot![B)]
Never knew the spring left the gun when I had it apart, and from where my foot found it, it had to have zipped by my head.

IMG_0008_zpsooerjj0c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one of the original Seecamps during the early 80's. It was built on a WW II era 1911A1 frame. During the 70's.

If you had a lot of money, and wanted a double action .45. The Seecamp Conversion was the only game in town. Until the Sig Sauer 220's, imported by Hawes and Browning, started being sold in the mid 70's. The 220's, soon closed the Seecamp Conversion production down.

AMT didn't start selling their Hard Baller guns until years later, mid 80's at the earliest. My guess that you have a basket case that was put together from the ODI Viking parts. Circa early 1980's.

Supposedly according to the Blue Book. Essex Arms wound up with the ODI parts, after they went belly up. Up might consider contacting them . As they might still have some of the ODI parts, after all these years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Found it's a ODI Viking serial number, they folded in 1982.
    Jeeze Rufe, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with who owns what anymore. Apparently now the Essex 1911 stuff, is owned by Iver Johnson.
    FYI, the Hardballer came out in 1977, the Longslide in 1980.
    Still don't know if ODI made the frame, or someone else made them.
    Going to try an email to Iver Johnson.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Found it's a ODI Viking serial number, they folded in 1982.
    Jeeze Rufe, it's getting harder and harder to keep up with who owns what anymore. Apparently now the Essex 1911 stuff, is owned by Iver Johnson.
    FYI, the Hardballer came out in 1977, the Longslide in 1980.
    Still don't know if ODI made the frame, or someone else made them.
    Going to try an email to Iver Johnson.

Don't agree with the above. In 1977, Harry Sanford the Honcho of Auto Mag, AMT etc, etc. Was getting into the production of the .380 Back Up's, using names like OMC, Irwindale Arms etc. Far as I know, he didn't get going into the stainless 1911's until the AMT years. That was at least from the mid 80's. 1984?.

The outfit in Texas. that is making the Houston High Standard target pistols. Also various AMT pistols. Has bought up the names, and licensing rights, to various defunct handgun companies. Wouldn't be surprised if the don't own the Essex and Iver Johnson names now. Probably all the old stock and parts are owned by Gun Parts Corp. now.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have some parts bu not a complete unit Please get back to me after the hollidays we may be able to compare what we have and make one out of two piles of parts CHEERS karl
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember when Essex offered matched - blueprinted slide and frame combos for a premium price - only a certain percentage made the cut...

That's what I build my custom 1911 on.

I to remember some custom pieces that were Frankenstein parts mixers but they worked surprisingly well.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Karl!
    I got it all put together (no parts left over)[:)] and working this evening with a jury rigged spring. If you have that spring, you can put me on your books for owing you one!

Rufe, I had one of the first Longslides in late 1981, and the Hardballer 5" guns were out before that. All that I've seen had AMT on them, and the city made, starting with Arcadia, then Irwindale, etc. All references say 1977, but I don't think it was called a Hardballer until later. Before that I believe it was just "Government".
    Sanford's son was auctioning off his stuff here on GB a while back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Thanks Karl!
    I got it all put together (no parts left over)[:)] and working this evening with a jury rigged spring. If you have that spring, you can put me on your books for owing you one!

Rufe, I had one of the first Longslides in late 1981, and the Hardballer 5" guns were out before that. All that I've seen had AMT on them, and the city made, starting with Arcadia, then Irwindale, etc. All references say 1977, but I don't think it was called a Hardballer until later. Before that I believe it was just "Government".
    Sanford's son was auctioning off his stuff here on GB a while back.

Thanks! Kind of surprises me? I though the .380 Back Up's, made under various company names. Were Sanford's total production, until the AMT years, in the 80's.

I use to shoot every week, at the Fish Canyon range back in the 90's. After Harry passed, his heirs took his guns to the clubhouse, to give the members first crack at them. I was hard up for cash at the time, so didn't even want to check them out.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks interesting, could be fun to shoot.