In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 extractor, cleaning

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I took out my oldest 1911 to the range this week. No issues, but when I was cleaning it I saw that there was a lot of powder and gunk built up in the slide around the extractor. Quick removal and cleaning of the extractor, spring and shaft. Now it looks as good as new.

So for you 1911 shooters out there; after approximately how many rounds do you remove the extractor and spring and clean them?
Thanks,
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think like most 1911 Parts quality of said part has a lot to do with Life span but also depends on condition of barrel Chamber as well as condition of shell casing & type of powder used in the ammo I have only broken one extractor in my life The third round of WW II steel Case ammo broke the extractor Hook lesson learned no more steel case for me I think most need for cleaning results from type of powder used I think faster burning powders are for the most part better . The VV 310 is one of the cleanest but 95 % of my shooting has been BULLS EYE powder I clean the extractor hole in slide about once a year crud gets between slide and extractor it self.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800-1000 on my 1911s. This is perfectly normal buildup of powder/residue/oil, & the small "dot" propellants (ala Bullseye) are notorious for it.
    No mention of any malfunctioning, so we'll assume none.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. The gun is a Springfield TRP that I have had for ~10 years and would estimate I have put 1500-2000 rounds through it.

I guess that was the firing pin spring that I had to remove to let the extractor come out?
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the extractor is held from moving forward or backward by the firing pin retainer not by the firing pin spring
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remove mine and clean frequently, but not necessarily on a round-count basis.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow was that one of the original salt water immersion test units?