In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 41 date of Mfg????

vega75vega75 Member Posts: 132 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
7" bbl as new, UAK16xx Can any of you experts tell me when this as made? Thanks!!!!! Harry in Oregon The gun is a Model 41 .22 semi-auto.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I it a 41 magnum, or a model 41?? If it is a model 57 then it looks like somewhere between 1986 and 2003.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wag 1997. When Smith went to the 3 letter prefix, things got all full confusing[V]. Might have to contact Smith customer service. For the absolute straight skinny. But I'm reasonably sure 97 is the correct DOM.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    My wag 1997. When Smith went to the 3 letter prefix, things got all full confusing[V]. Might have to contact Smith customer service. For the absolute straight skinny. But I'm reasonably sure 97 is the correct DOM.

EDIT #1,

If you have the original box, there will be a 4 digit number with a "Julian Date". (I believe that's what they call it?). I bought a NIB S & W .22 pistol, made in the mid 90's. And it had that 4 digit number on the box.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If this pistol has a 7inch barrel I highly suspect it is a 22LR target pistol MODEL 41 not a centerfire 41 magnum
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 ought to be a model 41. How is the fit and finish? I really like the old ones.

added I think the last one I looked at buying was 1978 and it was OK. I shot other folks older ones from the 60's and they were really nice. About that time my uncle Tang passed and dad brought back his High Standard HD Military. Of all my dad's firearms I ask for the HD when he was done using it, because it shoots good. At a 100 yards shoot the centers out of orange clay birds with frightening regularity, usually 7 or more out of 10.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like 1996. UAM started in 1997.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer007...
    Can you say approximately how old when referring to old ones?

EDIT
    thanks charliemeyer007.
    I believe my 41 was made in 1979 or 80 ser# A599161.
    No cocking indicator.