In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester - 3 Leaf Sights

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
Just a question of curiosity, how common are 3 leaf sights?

I found a 1894, production of 1908 with these sights. The metal is original finish with 30% remaining, but the stocks have been refinished st some point.

I may be able to get the rifle in the $800 range, and would already have passed if not for the rear sight.

EDIT 1:
Below are three images of the front and rear sights. The great debate....purchase or not.....

[img][/img]one4.jpg

[img][/img]two4.jpg

[img][/img]three5.jpg

Thanks.....Aaron

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. 3 leaf implies express sights like for Africa. Would like to see pic's.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our resident Winchester expert can tell you just how common/uncommon those sights are, on the rifle that you have, and if they were original equipment on that rifle or not. His name is Bert H. I am sure he will find this thread, and it will be very interesting what his insight is.

I actually sent him some photo's of an 1873 in 32WCF, and it has special order sights on it. He said the sights alone are $1100.00-1500.00, IIRC.

In case you have not seen this, it has the proper serial number vs. date made information, and a bunch of other stuff. It was compiled by Bert H, thru a survey, and the factory polishing room ledgers.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245213
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    Just a question of curiosity, how common are 3 leaf sights?

I found a 1894, production of 1908 with these sights. The metal is original finish with 30% remaining, but the stocks have been refinished st some point.

I may be able to get the rifle in the $800 range, and would already have passed if not for the rear sight.

Thanks.....Aaron

Aaron,

The Winchester 3-leaf Express sight (later listed as the No. 34B & 34C) was an optional sight for a fair number of Winchester models, and it was most commonly used on the Model 1885 Single Shot Rifles, and on the Model 1894 Rifles & Carbines made in the smokeless cartridges. The Winchester 3-leaf Express sight was also extremely common on nearly all of the Winchesters exported to England (UK).

A word of caution... inspect the sight closely, as the center leaf is very prone to cracking or breaking off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Interesting. 3 leaf implies express sights like for Africa. Would like to see pic's.

Google "Winchester 34B sight" and you will find several pictures of them.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nick Stroebel's book, "Old Gunsights". Lists in the Winchester section, a "3 leaf express sight". As # 34, circa 1926. Most likely, it was also available years before that.

Unless you can ascertain the 3 leaf sight is factory original, from the shipping records at Cody. Or family records, provenance, old photos etc. I wouldn't be paying extra for the rifle, because of the sights. Both could have been changed out years ago, after the rifle left New Haven.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aaron,

The sight looks perfectly fine, and it was certainly one of the primary optional sights on a 1908 vintage Model 1894 SRC. That stated, the 3-leaf express sight is not worth any more than the standard No. 44A (carbine ladder) sight.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the responses.