In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 121 not locking up

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I was recently given a Remington Pump Rifle Model 121 and discovered with bolt closed in firing position, very little pressure on fore end will open the bolt .. This is before firing the round in the chamber which I have not done.. Parts or adjustment needed ? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing make sure that the internals are clean, and aren't fouled with a cartridge residue. 22 ammo is really bad in this respect. Use one of the gun cleaning products, that uses a compressed gas spray. To try to get all the corruption, out of the internal parts and crevices.

After you cleaned it. Take it out in the woods and stick the butt end of the stock in a old tire. Fire it with a string tied around the trigger, from a safe distance. See if the bolt stays in battery after every shot. If it does your OK. If not, a trip to a gunsmith is in order.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the Rem 121,and I believe the Model 12, The bolt is held closed by the carrier/lifter.. The carrier could be worn, or dirty, preventing full travel to lock-up.. There is also a link that actuates the carrier.. This can also be gummed up, along with the carrier/link spring.. As Rufe says, try a good cleaning.. While test firing is always a good idea, the hammer fall when firing provides the final lock-up..

Here's Numrichs schematic..

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Rifles-37895/121-39477.htm?page=3

Look at parts #21-22-45..

Look at the exploded view for I.D- I believe they have the wrong illustration shown on the parts list for part #22..
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my 121 much better than the 12, which was also shorter and lighter.

I think yours is a high round count unit. Seen a few go threw the shop. Hammering in the right places will tighten them back up. This will not work forever - sadly things do actually wear out. Welding could be an option with small wire feed units.

I had to polish the heck out of the chamber on the 121 to make easy to shoot modern high speed ammo. Remington Golden Bullets from the early 70's worked slick (easy extraction) CCI MiniMags from 2010 not so much until I fixed it. BIL did the same thing for the 12