In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping a firearm for repair.

opso427opso427 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
What is the best way to ship a rifle ? I need to ship my 1894 to John Taylor for relining and have built a heavy duty plywood crate for it. Which comp. is the best to use to ship it ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best for shipping long guns is USPS. Don't have to do business through the common carriers as when shipping a handgun.

All long guns I have shipped in the past, have gone priority mail. No problems at all.
  • Options
    opso427opso427 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good. I will check with them and see how bad it will hurt. It's heavy. Thanks.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I can't argue with r-s' response, I have found it best to compare prices between USPS & Fedex using the online calculator. USPS insurance is double the Fedex rate, so I compare the total shipping price for the specific size, weight, distance, surcharges, & insurance.

Plus, my local Fedex Office store is really convenient, & the rates are the same as shipping from a Fedex hub, as FO stores are company owned.

Note new (large) surcharge for any package > 48" in length can add a lot to the charge.

Neal
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USPS rates go up on the 20th. [xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I use USPS for long guns Did not know about Rates going up
    But I think UPS and FED X both damage more guns than just by accident if you get my drift.
    I would never ship a high dollar item By either of those
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take lots of pics before you ship. Damage claims with any of the three are a real B___H.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A wooden crate is going to weigh a lot.... double corrigated boxes are good for USPS priority mail ...
    JIM...............
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had to ship scopes back that was enough for me.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ship it in a 18 dollar hard case from the Mart and put the gun in a sleave, and as duck said take pictures of item. They failed my claim, said it was "sealed" enough. That's why the hard case. Trust me, it will help. USPS will be cheaper.
    UPS destroyed a Weatherby Mark V deluxe stock, superb wood and it came in broke.[:(][|)][xx(][:0][B)]
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the use of a hard case. However I do not like USPS. They destroyed a rifle I bought via GB. It looked like a truck ran over it. I use UPS.