In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 94AE trapper 44mag

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I am interested the Winchester 94 AE Trapper 44mag that is at my local pawn shop.
It has a 16in. barrel,9rd capacity and a saddle ring(which is missing but the mount is there).The correct post 64 ring appears to be an easy find.
The stock is plain.
No large loop.

Other than a very shallow 3/8in scratch on the receiver the metal appears to be in great shape.
There are a few small dents in the wood(nothing through the stain).
Overall condition about 98-99% no box.

The only same model with the same features I could find on the auction side closed w/o a bid.(required a 1095 as opening bid)

Can someone tell me the DOM on this one?(SER#6180xxx)
Also I would appreciate opinions the on approximate value.
A very plain but also cool little rifle.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that it dates to 1992. Winchester sold their rights to U.S. Repeating Arms, to make their rifles in the early 80's.

U.S.R.A. brought out the "Angle Eject" models, in early years after they took up production.

Don't know what the rifle in the pawnshop is worth? The one on the auction for $1095, doesn't seem realistic for a USRA manufactured 94 in 44 mag.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is in .45 Colt, 9With an 18" barrel) and cost less than $500 in the last couple of years before USRAC folded. They also brought out .44 mag and .357 at the same time.

I will say it is a real hoot to shoot.

When USRAC folded prices started climbing. $1000 is a joke, but they are not making them any more. I would go maybe $650 tops.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that POS. It was a Christmas gift. First thing that broke was the end of the lifter - there were no replacement parts, it does sort of work ok with about 1/2" missing from the end. I filed out a piece to weld in but haven't done it yet.

The next part that broke was the cartridge guide on the right - maybe a replacement part could be found. I drilled out the cracked screw hole and tapped in a threaded bushing returning it to the original screw size.

Then it developed headspace issues, as in the lever would sting your hand. I welded up the back of the bolt and filed it down to fit. Worked great.

Then the ejector broke. I think there are parts available. I need to weld it up.

So I maybe have 500 rounds threw it and it has broke several times. I bought a 240 grain Saeco round nose mold for it which works great, all though the Lyman 245 Keith SWC works surprisingly well. It will hold 10 total of the round nose, but only 9 of the SWC. Mine has a barrel length of 16".

Fairly light and handy but I wouldn't trust this one any farther than I could throw it. BTW I changed the front sight to in order to get some range out of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you.
    I will back away from this one.
    Not really looking for a 44mag lever anyway.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one I put a Lyman peep sight on and absolutely love shooting it. (I have 11 lever actions, I have a bit of a soft spot for them.)

Since you posted, it's pretty clear it piques your interest. If you can talk the guy down a bit towards the 650 range, you won't regret buying one. Since they won't ever make any more, you will most likely break even (or come out ahead) if it stays in good shape and you someday decide to sell
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds good to me Riomouse911.
    After all I wont be shooting it much so breaking parts is not a real issue.
    It seems like a decent collector piece since as you said they are not making them.

If he will take 600 I will bite for sure.
    I will have about 40 in a new factory ring and mount.
    If I end up with it I plan to put a small leather piece on the ring to keep it from clinking around and or scratching the receiver.

He has came down to 700+tax but he seems to really like the rifle.
    He may take it home for himself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked it up today.
    700 out the door.
    Very happy with the condition,look and feel of it.

Can someone tell me how to put a saddle ring on the mount?
    Initially I thought Id change the mount with a new mount having the ring already on it.
    Now I am considering just adding a ring to the existing mount.
    I would like to do whichever has the least risk of messing something up.

Thank You.

It appears one of the post 64 cost savings included shrinking the ring thickness from 11/64th of an inch to 10/64th.
    The stud on the mount also looks to be a lot smaller on the newer 94s.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got bit by the bug....hope it works out for you...Congrats[^]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 94 action was meant for rifle length cartridges. While it was adapted to pistol cartridges, I have had a problem with the length of the stroke and the fact that some much of the action is pull down while cycling the action.

The 1892 is a much better choice if you can find one. The Marlin 1894 is also an excellent choice. Clones of the 1873 are very popular.

EDIT: So as not to use up the 10 limit:

I enjoy lever actions immensely. The great thing about it is until you can get an original there are great quality clones around due the SASS. If I found a 94 in 44 mag, regardless, I would probably jump on it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats Tone, nice score.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rsnyder55...What you say makes perfect sense.
    my 1892 in 38-40(circa 1904)is a pleasure to shoot.

As far as this 44mag trapper goes...
    Its just a collector piece. They seem to be sort of rare.
    Anyway after reading charliemeyer007s comment I am afraid to fire the thing.

Like Riomouse911 I like levers.
    Along with the 1892 I have a pre 64 Winchester 94 30-30(circa 1955),a few Marlins and a couple of rim fire Henrys.
    I can tell this 44mag is not of the same quality as the pre 64 or the Marlins.

What I need to find out now is how best to get a saddle ring back on without damaging anything.
    I am guessing there is probably an adhesive between the mount and the receiver and or lock tight on the stud threads.
    Maybe the new ring can be spread open and put onto the existing mount?

Hoping to find out about this under a new topic soon.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i have a newer 94 winchester legacy rifle in 44 mag and it has a shorter lever stroke than the 94,s i have in 30-30 and the lifer is also shorter and solid. and 44 special and 44 magnums feed and shoot with no problems at all. mr myopic.