In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 329

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have one. It is scary light and feels like a toy. Even the grips feel like they should be on a toy.

For a hiking carry gun. I am tempted.

I can imagine recoil can be brutal but it will be carried far more than shot.

Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked hard at one for packing. A buddy fired one full tilt round and thought his wrist broke. I looked for a 4" 29. Found a 6" 629. I couldn't get threw a box of shells. Put the grips from my 10 5/8 29 on it, still couldn't put a box of 50 through it. I can easily put 500 through the Silhouette with no issues. I gave the 629 away.

I'd much rather pack a pistol I enjoy shooting well.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 329NG most of the time it is loaded with Buffalo Bores 44 special load which is like a mild 44 mag load. I have shot full tilt Mags thru it to me it is like shooting a light J-frame with hot 357 loads
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using a 629 3" or 2 1/2" Backpacker and it still weighs over 2 1/2 pounds. I thought this might be easier to pack with 44 specials. I reload so I can tailor my loads, or load 44 magnum cases to hot 44 special loads.

EDIT: They also have a 69 in the store and I've been considering that also. It is around 12 oz heavier with 1 less shot.

EDIT: But then I remember the Charter Arms Bulldog which weighed 21 oz and was still a handful to shoot. Of course you had a smaller grip so the ergometrics were not as good.

I could wait for someone to buy the one in the store an after they shoot it, I might be able to get it for half price.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'ld stick with the 629. My experience with the 44 mag Smiths, was with one of the Dirty Harry specials, years ago at a range. It wasn't positive.

Don't mean to insult you. But anybody who would put out really big bucks, for a 25 ounce 44 mag. Needs their head examined.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 329, is super light, and will have recoil like the 500 S&W, when using full tilt loads...or perhaps more. One must practice enough with it to be efficient with it, then carry it, not shoot it once then carry it.
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend fired a 329.
    Said he would not want to do it again.
    Like myself his hands are aged.

Maybe an L frame 37oz 5-shot model 69 with a 4.25 barrel would be a good compromise.
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine but it is a shock to the hands. Look at yotube lots of shooting videos.