In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 RECON Unfired

jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
Picked up this gun from a friend a while back. Basically it is a 1911 Commander size frame with an Officers size slide assembly on it. This one is unfired. From what I've found there were about 480 of them made. Just wondering what the value would be, or if I should just go ahead and shoot it.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    OK does the slide or the frame have a roll mark with the word RECON on it or is this a commander That someone installed a Government Slide on If it is new in the box I would not shoot but I would sell
    edit I need to add one important thing if this pistol was made by Colt Kimber or high end custom built like Wilson cylinder & slide ETC it has value as unfired . if however it is Tharus or made in Asia in my opinion ib will never have added value Who made the pistol
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slide has the 1911 RECON rollmark on the left side, and the serial number is RECONxxxx, box SN matches also. Even has a "union card" about being proudly union made, along with the rest of the paperwork.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet[:)] got to be worth some bucks.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally you can find the real "value" of a gun by doing an ADVANCED search on COMPLETED auctions. This one sold for $895:

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/612543054

That's close to what a new standard Colt auto sells for today, although I think the seller could have gotten a higher bid if his listing had appeared with Feature Auctions.

The Recon was made during the period when Colt played mix-and-match with frames, slides, finishes, & creative names. I suspect you will find > 100 variations with issues of 500-1,000 guns. The prices of many older Colt models keeps going up; if I had a Recon LNIB, I would hold onto it for future appreciation.

Neal
  • Options
    82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what exactly does the "RECON" indicate?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    it is a shorten word for reconissance small group on on patrol that need to be armed in war time