In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt with tapped barell

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
pix815664764.jpg

from auction
1947 vintage gun that has been nickled. Sights have been changed and has tapped hole in the front of the slide. Has series 70 barrel and bushing.

Why would this have been done? Not the nickle... the hole

Thx
Ros
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some sort of fiber optic sight maybe??????? Do you know the size and thread count of the hole??
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    King made a front sight with a small mirror that used the reflected
    sun light to enhance the front sight Blade. never seen one on a 1911 slide most were on Revolver barrels but anything is possible looks to be a Gold thin blade in the wider front rampedit If you googleKing sights and look about 3 entries down and look at the sights installed on S& W revolvers you will see a long ramp that was held on by a front screw and rear screw could not find that sight installed on a 1911 type slide but I do know they were used on many types of pistols and they would need more than one mounting screw
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    port to let trapped air escape make the slide cycle faster
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Whats a "barell" ???? Maybe a "barrel" ???

and :

Its the SLIDE , Not the Barrel ........

Looks like a "bubba" gunsmidth job ......

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aztngundoc22
    OK :

Whats a "barell" ???? Maybe a "barrel" ???

and :

Its the SLIDE , Not the Barrel ........

Looks like a "bubba" gunsmidth job ......

Thanks !!!

Well now that the grammar police have approved the thread maybe we can figure it out...............
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I cross my eyes and squint, I think I can see the outline of a previous ramp front sight held on by that screw.

Otherwise, it don't mean nothin, motor on.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For some time several of the 1911 customizers would inlet S&W adjustable rear sights into 1911 slides. This may have been an attempt to put an S&W or similar front ramp on the slide - could even be for a threaded shotgun bead. Sure doesn't beautify the slide any, does it?
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT Hardballer front sight

414489.jpg