In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

light firingpin strike

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
My Kimber 84m in 308 in. does not make a normal dent in the primer, very light. 8 out of 10 times it is enough to fire, aggravating. Same cartridges receive a deep "normal" dent in my Rem. 742, and fire every time. Have tried ammo with Win., CCI, Rem. priming, same light strikes. Have had bolt apart, nothing obviously wrong. Have adjusted firing pin screw, (back end of bolt} no change. Thank you for any ideas.
I apologize for the mess that I have made, had trouble finding the edit feature.
Some factory ammo some reloads. Headspace is an excellent concern. I do believe that headspace is within tolerance. primers set .002 deep, another good idea. Thanks. PA shootist answer was the one I feared would show up. Thank you for your time and effort. Chris

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    possible headspace issue????

new factory ammo or reloads, if reloads is shoulder proper length??
  • Options
    onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    possible headspace issue????

I have a gauge that is basically a 308 win chamber, inserted cartridge has step at base that shows headspace. I neck sized some brass that was fired in this rifle, bolt closed with more effort, same light strikes. Good idea though, Thanks
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Kimber 84M in .308 also, with same problem as yours, light firing pin strike, occasional misfire. Any ammo, factory or careful reloads. I sent the bolt back to Kimber at their request and after my contact with their customer service. They returned bolt to me with supposed new firing pin and striker spring. A bit better, but once in a while, still misfired. I sent the bolt back again, and when I got it back, shot several rounds successfully, and then sold the rifle. I liked it for its light weight and compactness, but I lost confidence. New owner loves the gun!
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handloads can do that if the primers are not being set deep enough. The firing pin strike pushes the primer in a bit farther.