In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

fully automatic glock

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
does a full automatic 9 mm glock have heaver parts to absorb the preasure

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. Pressure (per shot) is still the same. Just more frequent.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock 18 is beefed up to handle the high rate of fire. It is not just a selective fire Glock 17.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The G-18 is not a beefed up G-17, but it is different. You can't just take an 18 slide assembly off and put it on a 17, it wont fit. Conversely, you can't fit a 17 slide to an 18 frame.

I have fired the G-18 several times. One of our academy instructors Dept has two of them and we used them for instructional purposes. I have taken them apart, and the interior looked just like my 17's but the slide to frame fit is different.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per shot pressure, obviously, is the same whether you're firing 0.5 shots per second (semi auto) or 10 shots per second (full auto).

That doesn't really matter.

The question is whether or not the G18 is built differently to be more wear-resistant than the G17. I've never touched a G18. . have no comment, but I believe the previous posters who say its built differently.

In general 9mm doesn't offer quite so much recoil impulse as some other cartridges, and the Glock polymer frame tends to act a bit as a natural shock absorber. The guns do hold up to a lot of punishment. I've seen people fire Glocks semi-auto at close to full auto rates of fire. They seem to hold up.

What I will say is that with most military designs, the civilian/semi-auto version is a neutered rendition of the military full-auto one, just with a different fire control mechanism that disconnects after every shot preventing full auto fire.

So in most cases, were you to convert a semi-auto gun to full auto (which, as I hope you realize, is highly illegal, and strongly ill-advised), the gun itself would be able to handle the full auto rate of fire as well as the purpose built model.

Also, speaking in general, full auto fire tends to heat up barrels fast, quickly ruining them. That's another good reason not to do this sort of thing to guns that you ever want to shoot accurately.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock 18 has an auto sear, and fire control selector located on the slide. This makes the slide marginally heaver than the slide of the Glock 17...perhaps an 1 1/2 ounces at the most. It also has one extra part in the frame. The frames and slides will not interchange. The recoil spring is the same.

I have seen full auto conversions for the Glock 17, that do not have the fire control selector, and they are just full auto, controlled by the trigger. I am not sure if these slides will interchange with other frames.

There are not many transferable Glock 18's here in the USA, and making a full auto, other than for LAW ENFORCEMENT, could lead to a healthy jail term.