In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wolf Gold .223

Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have not used this ammo before. Anyone know if the bullets attract a magnet or not? I am looking for regular lead core FMJ.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's very deceptive, trying to check this Wolf and and other imported ammo. With a magnet. As sometimes the bullet jackets are made of mild steel. Either being plated, or coated with what appears to be plastic over a oxide finish.

I don't believe any of the recent commercially imported ammo, have steel cores. As the steel core ammo, was banned from being imported years ago. I had a bunch of the Chinese copper washed 7.62 x 39. Good stuff for shooting, other than being corrosive. Cheap, reliable stuff, until the feds stopped it from being imported.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's not deceptive, it either sticks to a magnet or it doesn't.

Our shooting club does not allow ammo with either a steel core or Bi-metal jackets as these damage the steel targets we use for 3-gun.

Its either a go or no go with a magnet. I was looking at Wolf Gold .223 here on GB and the deciding factor is whether or not it attracts a magnet.

Since I have never used it before I just want to know if this stuff sticks to a magnet.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I'm not mistaken, Wolf Gold ammo is made by PPU(Privi Partizan)? I think the brass cases are head-stamped PPU as well. That may help you find more information about the ammo if you desire.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Wolf polymer coated steel case ammo is made in Russia.

The Wolf Gold used to be made by Prvi Partizan in Uzice Serbia but is now made in Taiwan. Their brass cases are stamped 223 Rem & Wolf.

I found the answer in an ammo ad stating the bullets are non-magnetic.

Thanks gents for your input.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Brass case stuff should be ok !

And :

NEVER use steel case stuff in any AR !!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aztngundoc22
    OK :

Brass case stuff should be ok !

And :

NEVER use steel case stuff in any AR !!!!

Thanks !!!

Its off topic, but the question of using steel cased ammo in AR pattern guns comes up a *lot*. I think this article (which includes quite a bit of empiric testing) is probably the "last word" on same:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

In short, steel case ammo is safe to use, but it will increase wear and tear on the gun, in particular the extractor. Whether or not you "should" use it depends on what exactly you're trying to do and how critical it is that the gun in question be absolutely reliable.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf makes 223 brass boxer primed reloadable. I reloaded 100 rounds and plinked them away and will reload again. HS says wolf.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read an article sometime ago that said Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan to NATO specs and have used several cases.

It absolutely DOES NOT attract a magnet, period.

So I can and do use it at the indoor range I belong to. It's what you are looking for and often at a decent price. It should not be confused with any other Wolf product.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Let me clarify my statement a bit :

As a cert. Gunsmith / Armorer and a builder of many "ar types" for years , I have seen numerous problems with / from steel case ammo !!!!

Enough that I always told my customers : Never Use Steel Case Ammo ( in ARs ) !!!!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf Gold, made in Taiwan is highly rated by many shooters who claim better accuracy than PMC Bronze and PPU.

As to steel case ammo it is not a good idea in piston driven AR15s.
    The steel does not expand enough to seal the chamber like brass
    Burnt carbon can build up in the chamber and eventually cause stuck cases. This is due to the higher back pressure caused by the piston on the bolt face.

That said I am aware of M16 shooters (DI, not piston)who shoot tons of steel case and feel what is saved easily pays for a couple extractors.

AKs were built to shoot steel, AR15s were built to shoot brass.
    But, your gun your choice
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck