In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Damaged gun

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a gun from GB with a three day return. The gun was shipped to me with no insurance. The gun has damage not caused by shipping as a matter of fact it has what appears to be a deep die marks and several light die marks, some even look like stress marks on the left side of the receiver near the wrist. I think they are die marks as they are blued with the receiver and it is a like NIB Gun. I am really not sure if the gun is safe to fire.
The dealer has agreed to take the gun back. There is no way in heck the dealer could not see this damage and I do not think I should have pay shipping both ways and do not think I should insure it when it is already damaged.
What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dodge69,

Opinions are a great comfort when they are in agreement with your own. In the real world, what we think has no consequence on your situation.

This is a negotiation between you and the dealer, not you and the GB forums. He has agreed to take the firearm back which is a big step right off. However, given the degree of damage to the firearm which should have been noticed before packing and shipping, the dealer should take responsibility for the shipping as well. Possibly sending them some good digital photos of the damage will go a long way toward proving your point and their memory. Please do so with a gentlemanly attitude as this will serve you better than getting angry. Maybe thinking through a discussion with the dealer before contacting them would be helpful. Rehearse your points with logic, carefully worded to pursuade not alienate.

Good Luck with this.

Best.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you failed to post photos, I don't see how we can comment on the damage & whether the seller should or should not have been able to see it. Or, if the damage was obfuscated in the photos in the original ad.

But, insurance is primarily to protect the shipper against loss. If the gun is lost by the carrier when you return it, you lose all that you paid for the gun, including shipping both ways.

If the gun was really damaged, I think that the right thing for the seller to do is refund all shipping. But, I don't think that you can make him. I would, but I answer to a higher authority.

Neal
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You didn't say what kind of "gun" it is, whether a handgun or a longarm. If the latter, you can mail it through USPS. A handgun needs to go dealer-to-dealer or you can ship it overnight (expensive) through FedEx or UPS.

The seller should have a moral obligation, particularly if this was pre-existing and undisclosed damage, but I don't think you can force him to pay return shipping. Still, you may want to open a Support Issue with GB and maybe they can help through their Buyer Protection Program.

http://www.GunBroker.com/c/user/fraudclaimprocess/

However, as this is an auction issue and not one handled by the Forums, I need to lock this thread. Good luck to you.