In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Acier Nickel Chantecler sxs

metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
Friend has just aquired this sxs Acier Nickel Chantecler 16 gauge double barrel . Based on what I've found so far is the is a French made 2 1/2" chambered shotgun .Smokeless powder proof on barrels underneath.
Anybody know anything about them.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that "Acier Nickel Chantecler". Refers to Roster brand, Nickel Steel the barrel is made of. Rather than the manufacturers name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it actually stands for special nickel steel

Maker is ST. Entiene ,I'm looking for any info on these other than that.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maker is not St. Etienne.
    That WHERE it was made- a city in France.
    What else doe it say on it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Each barrel underneath is stamped St. Etiene 17.0 followed by 65 which I guess is gauge and chamber . Its 16 with 2 1/2 chambers.
    It has Crown PT proof smokeless stamp,
    And. Marking IOKERECTIFIE HEURTIER
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    St Etienne is the gunmaking center of France like Liege, Belgium and Eibar, Spain. It is also the location of the main French proof house where guns are tested by government employees.

Hurtier is the barrel maker, I googled reference to Hurtier barrels on different brands of shotgun.

17 is the bore diameter of a 16 gauge in millimeters. 65 is chamber length in millimeters = 2 9/16", use only 2.5" shells available from Polywad and RST.

I do not know what IOKERECTIFIE means. Rectifie is "rectified" and may be a reference to the action design or the grade of Chantecler steel used.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses,here is a picture of markings.

0117171759_zpscputpnq1.jpg
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an illegible inscription under the curved IOKERECTIFIE mark.
    That whole stamp may be the maker's mark.

If Heurtier, that is the barrel maker and IOKERECTIFE is a boogered up stamp of CHOKE RECTIFE meaning the choke is "rectified" (adjusted) to their specification.

Sorry, I don't have a clue to the maker of the whole gun, it may be one of the proverbial "guild guns" of Europe.

My Verney Carron is similarly marked in very small print on the flats. Wonder why they didn't want to publicize their brand name more. It seems common on European guns, though, small or no trademark. And when there is a trademark it is just as likely to be a dealer as the maker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only thing I can make out is HEURTIER
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years back Interarms imported, a substantial number of French 16 gauge double barrels. Remember it because it seemed strange at the time. Most all the guns them imported, were ex military rifles. The commercial guns they sold, were newly manufactured. Not used like these French shotguns.

They must had a number of the shotguns, as the ad ran for a couple of months at least. As 16 gauge shotguns aren't popular on this side of the pond. Interarms didn't sell them for big bucks.