In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Re-barreling a Model 88

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Ask the Experts
I came across an old Winchester model 88 in 243. Gun is beyond saving as a collectors piece, as I am a model 88 collector. I was wondering if, I re barreled the gun for a 257 Roberts, could a magazine be done to accept that round???? I want to be able to shoot and hunt with it again, but in another caliber. I already have a few 243's. I just thought a 257 lever would be kinda cool. I know Browning makes one, but I want it in the model 88. Thoughts and opinions??? Oak

Comments

• pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the cartridges overall length isn't to far off and the case lengths are pretty close also but you may need to do abit of fitting to make the mag work, if you have cartridges and mag do a comparison, if not do the math. to me it looks doable but I don't have cartridges or mags.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie,

There are two considerations;

One is that the .257 Roberts is technically an intermediate length cartridge since it based on the 7x57 Mauser. The M88 is a short action rifle with almost no room to increase the size of the magazine.

Two is that Remington managed to compact this cartridge enough so that it fit in a short action configuration. The trick is to get the overall length to conform to the magazine length but leave a little extra for movement. In essence, if your magazine measures 2.825" inside, then make your overall length 2.800" so there is a touch of wiggle room for feeding.

My .257 Roberts load for the Nosler 100 grain Partition is 2.800" seated over a moderate load of H-4350 but running about 3050 fps. This will give you a nice range of out to 400 yards with 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the target. More than enough for the average shooter/hunter.

Best.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Oakie,

There are two considerations;

One is that the .257 Roberts is technically an intermediate length cartridge since it based on the 7x57 Mauser. The M88 is a short action rifle with almost no room to increase the size of the magazine.

Two is that Remington managed to compact this cartridge enough so that it fit in a short action configuration. The trick is to get the overall length to conform to the magazine length but leave a little extra for movement. In essence, if your magazine measures 2.825" inside, then make your overall length 2.800" so there is a touch of wiggle room for feeding.

My .257 Roberts load for the Nosler 100 grain Partition is 2.800" seated over a moderate load of H-4350 but running about 3050 fps. This will give you a nice range of out to 400 yards with 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the target. More than enough for the average shooter/hunter.

Best.

Thank you.[:)]
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a .25 caliber there was a wildcat that came out in the late 50's (?) called the .25"Sooper" or "Souper" that should get you real close to the 257 while still fitting the 88 receiver as the "Sooper" was 7.62X51 based.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .260 Rem would be an alternative with only a barrel change.