In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

for Bert H.

freddbear4freddbear4 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
No dremel involved.

1894editser.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Bert,

I saw your answer to the guy that asked about the Winchester 73. I'm asking your opinion here, because I have seen and read your answers to other posters, and respect, and value your opinion. Absolutely no sarcasm intended in this at all. I recently (November 2005) got an "official" appraisal done of a few of my guns for insurance purposes. The appraisal was done by the same guy that has the Peary 1873 for sale. I was wondering what you thought this one would ballpark in. The official appraisal reads as follows:

"Winchester model 1894 Rifle. Serial number 140327 (1898 production). 32-40 WCF Caliber with 26" octagon barrel. Fine plus with much blue evenly mixed with patina. Lever with traces of casehardening. Stock and forend fine except hairline crack on left side of stock abutting frame. Excellent bore"

and here are some pics to go by
    DSC03300.jpg
    DSC03301.jpg
    DSC03303.jpg
    DSC03304.jpg

Just curious as to how much of a difference there may be in someone that appraises and deals with a wide spectrum of antiques, and someone who has a specialty in Winchesters only may have. I'll post the "official" appraised value that he assigned to it after you make your assesment of it. I also realize there could be a substantial difference in seeing it in person, so if need be, will take more/better pics, if you tell me what you need.
    Sincere thanks.
    DC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My friend recently bought a Winchester model 92 in 32/20. Serial # 3891xx. Ahead of the bottom of the receiver are the numbers 77 84 and under the 77 are the numbers 42. Can you tell us any of the information you might have available on DOM and what these numbers mean?? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made early in 1907. The other numbers are an inspectors stamp made during assembly.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The other set of numbers are unlikely to be inspector stamps. I have never seen an original Winchester Model 1892 (or 1894) with more than one 2-digit inspector stamp on the bottom of the receiver frame. Can you post a picture showing the "77" "84" and "42" ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a photo but am having problems posting. My e-mail address is dadeerbear@gmail.com Could you send me an e-mail and I will reply and post the photo ?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent an email message to you. Please reply to it with the pictures attached.
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello freddbear4

I have been working on a research survey of the 1892 for almost 7 years now and will be glad to look at the rifle. email has been sent. Please reply with images attached. http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks
    Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation