In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

358 Winchester

BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
What year did Winchester introduce the 358 Win caliber..???

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was introduced in 1955, in the Model 70 bolt action, and the Model 88 ;ever action rifles. It is a very under rated cartridge.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired an early (1948) Remington 722 that had been rebored/rechambered from .300 Savage to .358 Winchester. The barrel had been shortened to 21" and it is set up with an old Weaver KV scope with a post reticle. What a great little rifle! As tsr1965 said, a very under-rated cartridge and largely ignored.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed an underrated and overlooked chambering! I have a Browning A-Bolt in .358 Winchester (Yes, they did make a very few in this caliber; I bought it new!). It is my go-to for whitetails, is accurate, shoots actually quite flat with 200 grain Hornady pointed soft point, accuracy minute-of-angle and better consistently with factory ammo. The round hits like the hammer of Thor. It is light and compact and easy to carry. I have equipped it with a Leupold VX-II 2-7 variable scope, and like I said, I routinely ignore other rifles in my safe and grab the .358! I used to have a Savage 99 in .358, which I maybe should have kept. It also accounted for a couple whitetails, but its shotgun style metal buttplate and associated uncomfortable recoil, heavy trigger pull with creep, and very unhandy safety located to lock back of lever underneath were all reasons that I didn't favor the rifle, so I sold it.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Savage 99F in .308 that also kicked awfully hard...I couldn't imagine the kick of the .358 firing it...
    As for .35 caliber rounds, I love the .35 Rem, the .358 would be even more useful with the spitzer bullets at a bit higher speeds.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i couldn,t find a good .358, so when a rem 7600 in 35 whelen was offered i jumped at it and its sure death of deer. i don,t load it up as a 200gr bullet at 2500 fps fps does the job and doesn,t kill you with recoil. mr myopic.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Remington 700 classic in 35 whelen is my favorite rifle.
    I have a Remington 600 in a crappy stock that was rebarreled to 358 win,
    When I get the Boyds stock and dial it in I may change my mind.