In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine Experts

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
What manufacturer do the initials IU mean on an M1 carbine bolt assy?
Three "experts" at a very large gunshow failed to answer this question today.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've been bitten by the bug. I have a late Inland Carbine and I'm swapping parts. I'd like to replace the flat bolt with a round one. I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm mechanical and I've done some 1911 customizing. I've had this Carbine apart a few times. What do I need to watch for in replacing the bolt?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't find referance to plainfield machine as one who made carbines.My son has been doing a lot of plumbing work for a man that makes silencers and such,all legal,and this man has one marked plainfield machine.the stock has IH in the sling slot,and i see no reference to IH making M1 carbines.i haven't seen the gun yet,maybe tonight,also my son said it has a blued barrel.Anybody got any expertise on this to share? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know that there were many companies who made magazines for the military and they are marked on the spine. From my limited knowledge they only made 15 and 30 round mags for the military. I have seen on other sites where they are advertised as 10 rounders with military markings. Did the military in fact have 10 round mags or is this just a way to get around the round limitation on other sites.

Secondly with so many mags out there I know they don't bring much money but are any of them more valuable than others and what would there markings be.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't factually answer your question. In the past though I have seen magazines altered. To make them legal for hunting, holding no more than 5 rounds.

I imagine the same could be done, to 15 round carbine magazines. Fabricating a internal block. And blind riveting in position, so it can't be readily removed.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,

The only 10-round magazines which I've seen have been 20-round mags that have been blocked, same with some 30-round mags that were blocked as well. Your best bet is to find an article written by Bill Ricci (I think) who is the ranking expert on these magazines for the M1 Carbine.

Best.

ADDED:

I found this article from the CMP regarding M1 magazines and thought it might be useful:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Carbine_30_Round_Magazines_September_2007.pdf

Best.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This can get complicated, as there are lots of manufacturers & variations. The most comprehensive list has been compiled by this collector:

http://www.reocities.com/Athens/Academy/9933/carbinemags.html

Just about all 15 rd mags are USGI; they were cheap & plentiful for years. Now that they are selling for $20-30, you will see recently imported Korean mags for less. Irwin Pedersen, National Postal Meter, & Rockola mags can bring $100 or more today.

The only USGI 30 rd mags I have seen were made by either Seymour Products or Inland division; they can bring $100, but beware of fakes. Most 30 rd commercial mags will not function properly.

Yes, I've seen 15 rd mags advertised as lower capacity to get around a site's "hi cap mag ban"; you pays your money & you takes your chances.

Neal
  • Options
    svg25ssmsvg25ssm Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad bought an Underwood in the early 60's for $50.00.It came with a 5,6 and 15 round mag. All look factory to me. And I still have it.