In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stubby shot shells

Big TwinBig Twin Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
What is the proper name for those stubby shot shells for training and loading more rounds into your mag?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aguila refers to theirs as "minishell". 1 3/4" shot shells and slugs.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that these short shells often don't feed reliably in some guns. Some guns feed them ok, some don't.
  • Options
    Big TwinBig Twin Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like Aguila stopped making them. They were expensive anyway cheaper to just add a mag extension to my 1100.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aquila still makes them, and some distributors carry them. They are not meant as a less expensive option, than the regular shells, but a premier option, to add more rounds to a standard magazine capacity, and less over penetration.

The Keltec KSG was designed for them...it holds 21 of them, and functions flawlessly.

EDIT 1

quote:Originally posted by toad67
    I was always told that they were for shooting older shotguns that can't handle modern day loads, such as some Damascus models.

Todd,

As far as I know, they still run standard pressures. The only way to be safe in those older shotguns, is to load black powder, or black powder substitute loads.

I have a 1891 mfg Winchester 1887 lever action. I had an old gunsmith/shop owner, who stepped on a rainbow, about 7 years ago show me how to load those loads, and how to make the waterglass that goes on the over the shot cardboard disc. I even killed a turkey with it. Used to be my late grandfathers. I have two boxes of brass cased shells ready to go, and it is in perfect working condition.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was always told that they were for shooting older shotguns that can't handle modern day loads, such as some Damascus models.