In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

p14 enfield

IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
The Model 1917 receivers are marked Remington, Winchester, or Eddystone. The P14's have 2 or 3 letters on them. What's the translation?

Comments

• Options
    IN gunsmithIN gunsmith Member Posts: 191
    edited November -1
    what calabers can a p14 be changed to i know it needs to be a rimed or a belted case (i wood like to be a rimed case) need it to fit the mag box
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen one in 25-303,not a lot in my neck of the woods.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt Action Rifles, by, Frank de Hass, has an excellent description of gunsmithing the 1914 and 1917 Enfields, including suitable calibers.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    while a p-14 can be 'changed' to a rimless cal. by changing the bolt and magazine assy. they really 'shine' as belted magnums or rimed cals. I've got one in .348 wcf. Gunpartscorp sells different lenght magazine boxes.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one in .300 H&H for a time. It was such a "cheapo" change that they left the rear sight ears on and didn't even go to a speed-lock striker change. It shot just fine, they are immensely strong, but was a bit heavy to lug in high mountains with thin air and snow. I don't know what changes they made to the magazine, but it fed the long rounds just fine.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in a 458 win mag and considering chaning to 460 weatherby. Yes, it is very heavy to carry.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IN gunsmith,

quote:while a p-14 can be 'changed' to a rimless cal. by changing the bolt and magazine assy. they really 'shine' as belted magnums or rimed cals. I've got one in .348 wcf. Gunpartscorp sells different lenght magazine boxes.

The P14/P17 rifles were considered by most gunsmiths to be the Chevy small block of their time. It was a blank canvas to a painter. What wasn't done to them was very little. Being a very strong, well-made action, lent them to the concept of large bore, big game rifles by many gunsmiths who couldn't get their hands on a custom Mauser or a Brevex. Colonel Art Alphin (A-Square) was probably the biggest proponent of these actions since he basically cornered the market by buying up most of the surplus in order to build his model of a heavy, big game rifle (ugly POS IMHO). But prior to that, a large number of cobblers managed to get their hands on rifles or actions and created all sorts of abominations in the name of their 'clients'.

One of the greatest mistakes made with these actions is to completely remove the rear sight 'ears' and contour the rear ring. These ears can be used to create some of the most custom, unusual and sturdy rear sight bases for scopes ever imagined. But sadly, many didn't have that vision and simply cobbled away the best assets in order to use readily available commercial sight bases.

The bottom metal can be straightened by a good gunsmith with the proper fixture to hold the parts when welding them back together. Then find the right box and spring so you can get your cartridge choice to feed. Remember that the feed ramps and rails will need looking after as well. The follower may have to be custom made by the gunsmith in order to accommodate the size and length of the cartridge chosen.

Anyway, that's the short version of a much longer tale. If you're creative, you can conjure up a one-of-a-kind masterpiece (albeit expensive) or you can simply make another ho-hum conversion and let it go at that.

Best.