In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 61 .243 Value

ap3572001ap3572001 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Looking to get an idea on a FAIR value of:

Manlicher Schoenauer MCA 1961 ( made in 1964) full stock rifle in .243 WIN.

Double triggers, drilled and tapped for Redfield mounts, Griffin And Howe side mount with one inch rings, rear sight is missing.

Wood is 95% metal is 95%. Excellent bore.

Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a observation. If the D & T, was done on this side of the pond, i.e. not factory. It would have substantial effect on collector value.

Mannlicher Schoenauer's, are big buck collectors guns nowadays. The guys who pay top dollar, want them in the same condition as they left Austria. I imagine a replacement rear sight, would be obtainable. Not so the D & Ting
  • Options
    edited November -1
    D%T is factory. Griffin and Howe mount was done later.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just checked the Blue Book. After 65 the M S's destined for the U.S., were D & T'ed for Redfields. Hopefully there is a glitch in the BB's data? And yours is factory.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine actually might be 65. Trying to come up with fair price for it.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my ms is a model 1956 MS-MC made in 1958 half stock in 3006 with spoon bolt and double set triggers with a older leupold adjustable scope mount in ex condition. tho not the same as your rifle, i bought it at auction at a very good price(550.00) as it was listed as a converted greek army rifle. some times you get lucky. i would think from 1200-1500 dollars if in the right condition and it is in a wanted caliber.eastbank.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ap3572001,

quote:Manlicher Schoenauer MCA 1961 ( made in 1964) full stock rifle in .243 WIN.

Double triggers, drilled and tapped for Redfield mounts, Griffin And Howe side mount with one inch rings, rear sight is missing.

Wood is 95% metal is 95%. Excellent bore.

This has nothing to do with the 1903 Greek rifles which are usually conversions of the military actions and run significantly less as far as value is concerned.

As I will continue to state, I am not a collector nor do I appraise rifles unless I have my hands on them and I can accurately date them from the factory.

Three things come into play. In your instance, you do not have anything that is a standout as far as the M-S MCA 1961 is concerned except the side mount by Griffin & Howe which if factory can add value to the rifle. If the G&H is aftermarket, the price will be less. If the D&T is factory it will date the rifle but if it's aftermarket, it will hurt the price.

The full stock and DST are always a plus for most Americans, they will pay more for these features.

You can check the Auction side for completed auctions on the MCA 1961 with the features yours has, to see what they sold for AT THAT TIME. The ones currently at Auction show rather top end prices as high as $1995.00 but there can be a lot of speculation at that level. Check through the completed auctions to see if you can get a comparative value based on what you have. Be sure to establish that the G&H and the D&T are factory beyond doubt.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I posted a pic. It's stamped 64 on barrel . Don't know who installed G&H mount.it's marked Griffin and Howe with address . D&T for Redfield bases. I red they started it in 64-65. Very nice bore. Looking at 800-1000 gun?
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    nononsense, if you read my post, i didn,t say the OP,s was a greek military conversion, but that the rifle i bought was thought to be a military conversion at the auction and thats why the price was so low. eastbank.

eastbank,

Not only did I read your post but I understood exactly what you meant. I was simply clarifying that the original poster was not talking about the 1903 just in case it came up again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle is am talking about ( the one in the pbotos) in not a conversion.