In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti 1873 SAA Question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
hello, just picked up a stoeger-uberti mod. 1873 45 colt revolver. unlike all the colt 1873 copies by uberti, this one differs by not having pat. dates, only has 3 clicks and not good feeling ones! also has a hollowed out hammer with a spring loaded verticle transfer bar? that then strikes the firing pin to fire the gun? (firing pin not on the hammer!) more of a rough rider quality than that of a uberti! also with greenish laminated one piece grips. something that would never come with these guns. and is in polished stainless. WHY ME! cant find another like it on the web. does anyone have any experiences with this model and is this just a cheaper, low end model? thanks for any help.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I could find in my older Blue Book is that the Stoeger name, was used starting in 2003. Can't find any stainless ones listed? They do have a polished "white steel model", that I never heard of?

You can date it by one of the Italian proof marks. Which will be in the format of 2 capital letters.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend o' mine picked up a "low end" one (to me). It looked like it had a rattle can finish with a brass grip frame. I teased him about how much stick weld the paint covered [:D]. I don't recall if it had a firing pin like yours. He's "planning" to make it a fanner so maybe it was like yours? Either case it was new and under $500 out the door.

As for fixing the hammer feel. I'd swap it out with the wire type Wolff or Heinie. The leaf style will snap off and the wire (to me) feels better.

Also there may be some burrs on the frame that's dragging the hammer giving the crappy hammer/trigger feel. Emery cloth and popsicle stick time [:D]. Oh run a Q-Tip and you'll see here the cotton gets hanged up. That's the places where you'll be sanding.