In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Christmas present question

RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
My daughter that lives in north Georgia hosted our family this Christmas. On the 23rd she asked me to go to Cabela's with her. When we got there she told me she paid for a rifle for my Christmas all I had to do was the paperwork. The family bought me a Savage model 12fv in 22-250. I got it home on Monday and put a Luepold LPS scope on it. My impression of the factory stock was one of thinking it was a cheap piece of junk
But after shooting some 55 grain and 60 grain rounds in tight groups I was amazed and I am tempted to hang with the Tupperware stock for a while. It looks like junk but seems to work. Does anyone have long term experience with these factory stocks? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never argue with good group size. I only have one "plastic" stock rifle. It was a replacement for the factory laminated one on my 600 Rem that failed by having the recoil lug ripping threw the wood. I think the rifle lost almost 1 pound as it is now 5.25 pounds with sling and loaded with 4 rounds of 45-350 Rem Mag.
  • Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a Savage 17HMR with synthetic stock for 15 years.It stays in the car for varmint use on the way to work.Synthetic stocks are great because you don't have to worry about damaging their finish with scratches and dings.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I love blued steel and well figured walnut, the synthetics do NOT warp, do NOT change POI due to humidity, etc. Even the US Army changed the M14 to a synthetic stock.

As far as the savage, they have quietly been building some damn good rifles for some time now. My ground hog gun is an older .220 Swift Savage- and like my Savage in .17HMR, shoots about like a laser. Don't knock Savages. IMHO, a lot of gun for the money.
  • Options
    penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
    Women should never buy men guns. You stuck with something you may not want and must kept not to hurt feelings unless she knows exactly what you want.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Despite Penguin's pessimism, It is hard to argue with Savage's out of the box accuracy. I bought a .17 that came in camo finish with matching finish Bushnell scope. It will put holes in a dime at 100 yards (out of the box with no tweaking) and has turned out to be one of the most fun rifles since my first .22 60 years ago. I would leave it alone and thank her again.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Plastic' stocks are seal hunters favourites in my part of the world.(They hunt seals on sea ice)
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked with Boyds as far as laminate replacement oem wood stocks???

Mike
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Have you checked with Boyds as far as laminate replacement oem wood stocks???

Mike

I was thinking Hogue Rubber.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the majority of injection molded stocks in use today, are junk, they seem to work. Some, of course are better than others, and are reinforced in the proper places.

That said, Savage does mold in pillars, which would make it easier to bed, if you should decide to so, using a good compound like Brownell's Steel Bed, or Marinetex.

Don't argue with group size, and keep your action bolts torqued at 50-60 inch pounds, and you should be good to go.

I totally agree with He Dog, about everything in his post. Thank goodness your family, and daughter had the willingness to buy you a firearm for Christmas. It is a gift to cherish, no matter if it was exactly what you were looking for or not. Apparently Penguin is not that fortunate.